A Contest Ritual

"One minute on the clock! This battle is going right down to the wire, with May in the lead!" Vivian shouted, pumping up the crowd.
May narrowed her eyes. "I can't lose now." She thought to herself. She was just as pumped as the crowd.
"Beautifly use string shot! And Venasaur, you use vine whip!"
"Petal dance Roserade!" Drew countered. Petals shot out of the roses in place for Roserade's hands. They had an immense amount of power, but were soon whipped away by May's attacks.
"Oh yeah!" May said, slightly surprised. Beautifly's string shot began to gain speed towards Drew's pokemon.
"Don't get excited yet May." Drew didn't seem phased by his failed attack. "Butterfree, quickly fly down and use protect."
"Catch the Butterfree, Venusaur!" May's evolved Venasaur attempted to catch the butterfly pokemon with it it's vines. The vines whipped towards Butterfree, as Butterfree quickly manoeuvred around the vines to land on top of Roserade, protecting them both from the vines and string shot speeding towards them.
"A wonderful dodge from Butterfree, along with the protect to completely block the opponent's attacks! That sure put a dent in May's points, evening up the score!"
"Roserade, use solarbeam." Drew said calmly. "Butterfree, you use psybeam." The multicoloured psybeam combined with the bright white solarbeam, creating a beautiful array of colours, speeding straight towards May and her pokemon.
"Venasaur, you use solarbeam too! And Beautifly, you use silver wind!" A powerful white beam began to rush towards Drew's combination attack, being propelled by an equally powerful silverwind.
"Those two combination attacks are bound for collision!" Vivian commentated. The two beams crashed into eachother. The power of the impact caused both teams of pokemon to be taken back.
"And it looks like the time is up!" Vivian exclaimed. The two coordinators glanced up to the board, although not knowing who had won. The board was still covered by a cloud of smoke.
"It looks like the winner is...." the smoke slowly cleared off as Vivian finished her sentence. "The winner, it's Drew!"
May stood shocked, as she looked to her pokemon and smiled for their sake.
"Oh, you two, don't be sad! You guys did great! Thank you!" May hugged them both.
Drew seemed surprised at the outcome aswell. He smiled when he glanced over at May and saw her smiling, comforting her pokemon. May was always optimistic. "Good job you two. Thanks a lot, you guys were awesome." He said, smiling back at his pokemon.
"A fantastic battle. It's been a while since I've witnessed a battle with such intensity!"
"Simply remarkable!"
"Both of you have really raised your pokemon well!"
"Thanks judges!" Vivian replied. "Well there you are everybody! The winner of the Ecruteak contest ribbon is Drew and his team of pokemon!"
...
"Drew!" A voice shouted as he was leaving.
Drew turned around to see his rival, her sweet sapphire eyes and cheery smile.
"Oh, hey May."
"Well, you're always quick to leave aren't you?"
"Time is precious. Especially if it can be used for training. Of course, I didn't really expect you to know that."
"Hmmph." May sat down on an outdoor bench, ignoring his criticism. "You know, I really thought I had you back there."
Drew chuckled. "Well yeah, it was close."
"You know what I was thinking, Drew?" Drew turned his head, intrigued. "It's become a sort of pattern, you and I just talking after a contest. Ever since Hoenn, you know?"
Drew chuckled once more. "Yeah I guess."
"I was also thinking. About, you know, what you said to me a while back."
May was met with a single rose, right in front of her face. Was this his way of avoiding the topic?
Drew smirked. "For old times sake. I haven't given you one of these in a while, have I?"
"Me?"
"Well, Beautifly."
He quickly continued on his journey, leaving May behind.
"Seeya May."
She got up from the bench. Her cheeks turned a light pink colour, as she stared at the vibrant red rose. She turned her attention to her rival, staring fondly while he walked away. May held the rose close to her. Her rival had already walked far down the path by the time she was able to respond.
"Bye Drew!"
______________________________

Yay, hope you enjoyed. Sorry if the contest battle wasn't very good. It was my first time writing a battle, but it was kinda fun!
Leave feedback in the comments! Thanks for reading.
Disclaimer: I do not own pokemon.