Chapter Two

Narrator POV:
Lily Evans stepped inside the Head's common room, closely followed by James Potter. She looked around the room in awe, the fire burning in a hearth. Although, it looked almost exactly like a smaller version of the Gryfindor common room, it still stole her breath. While, she was gazing around the room, James had his gaze on her. What he saw puzzled him. "Why do her cheekbones look extremely slimmer?" he thought. It was true. The edge of her high cheek bones were more prominent than they had in the past, and it wasn't just her maturing causing it. He stole another glance at Lily, only to notice something else amiss. "Had her eyes always had such dark shadows?" James was confused. What was going on with Lily?

"Hey, Lily," James said aloud.

Lily shook her head, as if pulling herself from a trance.
"Yes, James?"

He hesitated. "Are you okay?"

Lily forced her face into a painful smile. "Of course! Why wouldn't I be?"

Although James wasn't convinced, he replied, "No reason. Just making sure you don't need anything."

Lily was taken aback by his kindness. She gave him a small smile. "I'm fine, James, but thank you for being concerned."

He returned the smile with a grin, and looked at his watch. "Blimey! We better be off to bed! It's nearly eleven!"
Lily snorted.
"What?" James asked, hand flying to his hair, a small nervous habit developed over the years.
"You, James-MARAUDER- Potter, are going to bed at Eleven?" She choked out before bursting out in laughter.

He blushed. "Well- I've got to unpack and- yeah." He walked over to the oak door with a plaque that said, 'Head Boy' on it, turned and muttered a quick, "Night, Evans."

Lily smiled and said, "Goodnight, JAMES." Putting emphasis on his first name. He grinned and shut his door. Lily went into her dormitory, which like the common room, looked like her old room. It had everything she would need, a desk, a mirror, a closet, and a full size bed. With a sigh, she changed out of her robes, and crawled underneath the covers.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lily POV.
•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
It was always nights like this that were the hardest. I would lay down after a good day, and the thoughts that had subsided earlier, came like a rushing hurricane.

It was my fault they were dead.
Even Tuney agreed.
If I hadn't been born with magic, none of this would've happened.
If I hadn't been born at all, Tuney would be happier.
If I didn't exist everyone else would be better off.

The tears slowly fell down my face, and they slowly built up into a barricade of sobs.

I thought about the letter that Tuney had sent me. The one with words such as, "I never want to so much as hear your name again, you freak," "I hate you!" and "if you ever try to visit or claim any of mum and dad's things, I will turn you into the constable!"

I didn't want to admit it at the time, but it hurt. She was the only family I had left, and she wouldn't even acknowledge I existed.

The tears were coming harder and faster now, and I could feel them soaking through my pillow.

My stomach rumbled, the gnawing hunger eating away at my insides. I put a disillusion charm on my plate, so people would think I was eating, and so they wouldn't worry.

They have enough to worry about with this war, they didn't need another burden to carry.

I heard a soft knock at my door. Startled, I sniffed, and dried my tears the best I could.

"Yes?" I cringed. My voice sounded hoarse, giving away that I had been crying.

"Are you okay, Lily?" James's voice called out, the sound muffled by the thick wood.

"Yeah, I'm fine." I tried my best to do a cheerful voice.

"Are you sure? Can I come in?" He said, his voice concerned.

I hesitated.