Chapter 18

Heart pounding.

Head throbbing.

Blood racing.

Rain pouring.

Thunder booming.

Eyes watering.

All of these things in a single second. So much pain and confusion, I didn't know what was happening. All I knew was Adam was on the ground and he wasn't moving.

I rushed over to his limp body and felt for his pulse, which was thankfully still there.

"Did he just push that boy into the pool?" I heard his mom say.

"I guess he never took our warnings seriously. I'll have to contact Heck Academy." His dad sighed.

I looked over at his parents, who were shaking their heads in a disappointed manner.

"Seriously? You're worried about your son's behaviors while he is lying, unconscious, on the ground? You didn't bat an eyelash when he fell to the ground. What kind of parents are you?" I was disgusted, thoroughly disgusted. I don't blame him for being a little on the troubled side, it was one hundred percent not his fault.

"Young lady, since when do you think you can talk to me like that?" His mom said.

I ignored her and turned my attention back to Adam. "Adam," I cooed, brushing a piece of wet hair from his forehead. "Wake up." I whispered over the now treacherous rain. "Please wake up." I shook him gently and squeezed his hand.

I held my breath as I waited for him, a tear dripping down my cheek with the rain water. What if he was in a coma? What if he had a concussion? The worst case scenario just kept getting worse and worse.

A few seconds later, a groan came from his throat and I let out a breath. His eyes flipped open and focused on mine. "Bella..." His hand came up and cupped my cheek. I couldn't help myself, I had been waiting all night for this moment, I pressed my lips against his.

They were smooth, not coarse like his language or angry like his tone, but smooth and gentle. A whole new side of him I had never seen. The better side of him. The side of him that had been shielded by mistreatment from his parents.

We held it for a while, but time didn't seem to matter.

We pulled away slowly, and I could tell Adam changed. As he looked into my eyes, I could feel him giving himself to me, telling me all of his deepest secrets and hopes and dreams, showing me he would be loyal and wouldn't leave me.

"Leave them be," I heard Mrs. Potter's kind voice. "Nobody needs your negativity."

"Mrs. Potter!" I heard his mom exclaim. "You are my employee-"

"Not anymore." Wanda said proudly. "We're done with this cruelness. I think Adam is too. He is eighteen and can finally be free of your hostile grip."

They looked mortified at Mrs. Potter's comment. "Adam, go up to your room. We need to have a chat." His mom said sternly.

"No," he said back. "Mrs. Potter is right, I don't have to listen to you. I'm sick of you thinking I'm your perfect son and expecting me to be exactly like you. Newsflash, I'm not perfect and I don't want to be like you."

I could tell they didn't have anything to say. They just got told.

"Fine. If you aren't willing to live with our rules, then you don't have to live with us." She said it with no remorse, no hint that she might remotely miss Adam.

I turned to Adam and watched him swallow hard. "Fine." He said shakily.

His amazing debate just exploded in his face.

****

Ok I pulled you all from the cliff :P

I know that was a short chapter and I did that on purpose just because I needed to end it there but fear not! I'm updating again today and it will be longer!

Thank you RavenclawMaven1198! You're the best! You're so nice RavenclawMaven1198! Thank you for saving us from that death defying cliff! Oh it's nothing :)

Ok love you,

-RavenclawMaven1198