The Owl And The Letter

Tap.

"G'way"

Taptap. Silence.

Taptaptaptaptaptaptap.

Harry groaned and rolled over, stuffing his pillow over his head.

.

HOOT!

Tap-BANG.

Something heavy and feathered landed on the pillow over his head and began to vigorously peck him.

"OW!" Harry shot up. The feathered something fell off with an indignant hoot. He rubbed his aching head.

"What?" He glared at the owl. The owl glared back, raising that thrice-damned beak up to catch the light and glint menacingly. A letter flopped to the floor and it nudged it towards him. He ripped it open after one more furious glare at the owl that was now innocently preening itself in the middle of his floor.

HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY

Headmaster: Albus Dumbledore (Order of Merlin, First Class, Grand Sorc., Chf. Warlock, Supreme Mugwump, International Confed. of Wizards)

Dear Students,

We are pleased to inform you that you have a place at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Please find enclosed a list of all necessary books and equipment.

Term begins on 1 September (or when you happen to register). We await your owl after registration.

Harry stared at the letter, hyperventilating. There were others like him? Could they tell? Did someone know? He shut his eyes for a moment, then opened them again, calmer. He picked up the smaller letter that had fallen out of the envelope.

HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY

Uniform First year students will require:

Three sets of plain work robes (black)

One plain pointed hat (black) for day wear

One pair of protective gloves (dragon hide or similar)

One winter cloak (black, silver fastenings)

Please note that all pupils' clothes should carry name tags.

Set Books All students should have a copy of each of the following:

The Standard Book of Spells (Grade 1) by Miranda Goshawk

A History of Magic by Bathilda Bagshot

Magical Theory by Adalbert Waffling

A Beginners' Guide to Transfiguration by Emeric Switch

One Thousand Magical Herbs and Fungi by Phyllida Spore

Magical Drafts and Potions by Arsenius Jigger

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them by Newt Scamander

The Dark Forces: A Guide to Self-Protection by Quentin Trimble

Other Equipment

1 wand

1 cauldron (pewter, standard size 2)

1 set glass or crystal phials

1 telescope

1 set brass scales

Students may also bring an owl, a cat, a rat, or a toad. Students can purchase this equipment at Diagon Alley, acessable through the Leaky Cauldron in Charing Cross, London. (A/N: yes, I know this isn't in the letter, but it should be. How the heck do all the muggleborns find it?)

Harry frowned. Diagon Alley? As he reread the letters, a slow smile broke across his face. He scribbled a reply on a spare sheet of paper and handed it to the owl.

"Oh, Ver~non!"

Downstairs, Uncle Vernon cringed visibly.

"Guess wha~at! We're going shopping!"