Part Seven

Chapter Seven

She didn't sleep. Sammy's mind was so overactive. She didn't trust Daniel, but there were so many unanswered questions thrown up at her and his words echoed in her mind. First and foremost was Daniel's insistence that Joel had stayed away because he was jealous of Marcus. He'd hinted that he was jealous of her, that it was in some way her fault.

She had to speak to him, had to find out if that was the truth. It was the only way to ensure that she'd cope with the rest of the day.

Monday was her Mother and Baby group day and she was busy until after lunch, so before she left for it she called him. It took her ages to build up to making the call...only to be rewarded with his answer phone. She left a garbled message telling him she needed to talk to him, then hung up instantly regretting the move. She was tired and emotional; the last thing she wanted or needed was a confrontation with Joel.

Joel looked at the screen of his ringing phone and groaned, there was no way he could speak to Sammy, not at the moment. Toby had called him to say he had an address for a J. Painter, the same name that had benefited from the largest amount of money Marcus had. Toby suggested getting a PI involved, but then that would take time, and Joel wasn't a patient man. So whilst he agreed to the PI, he noted the address and planned an immediate trip in that direction.

Ignoring the call, letting Sammy get his answer phone, he headed across town.

From the cafe across the road from the given address Joel drank coffee and waited. He wasn't sure what he was expecting to see, but he and Marcus had been good friends, if there was someone he was giving large amounts of money too, he'd know him, or her. He was sure of that.

So many bad thoughts went through his head, did he have another woman? That was his biggest fear, and he knew as he digested that thought again that he'd never tell her. Sammy. He couldn't bear to see that betrayal on her face, because when it came to Sammy Turner he was fast realising he was a soft touch.

A door opening caught his attention and his eyes locked on to the figure emerging from the address he was staking out. And his heart literally boomed his stomach dropped like a stone to his boots. Daniel Turner. If he hadn't already come to blows with his friend's younger brother then he'd be surprised that he was involved in anything that was going on. He should have trusted his instincts. Where he loved Marcus like a brother, he and Daniel had never got on, that was why he hadn't instantly suspected him, he knew that he was quick to make snap judgements about him, and he was trying to be constructive and objective.

"All for shit!" he snarled as he pounded the table with his fist. That made everyone in the cafe look at him and he smiled apologetically. He HAD to rein his emotions, this was business, this was for Marcus, this was doing right. That was all.

Taking a few deep breaths, he watched the younger man start to move along the street away from the cafe as he reached into his pocket.

Toby answered on the third ring, "you know who it is? I knew you wouldn't be able to resist going there."

Joel laughed, "you wouldn't believe what I just saw."

"Do I confront him?" Joel reached for the whisky in front of him and guzzled at it. He was aware that he'd avoided returning Sammy's calls all day, and he didn't want to do that whilst his mind was still whirring. He was sat opposite his lawyer Toby and staring at him, waiting for a response.

"No, that would instantly tip him off that we know he's up to something. You know how these things go Joel, give him enough rope and he'll hang himself."