Part Twenty Five

Chapter Twenty Five

Sammy couldn't share Corinne's laissez-faire attitude towards the carnage that her life had become. Go with it; see how it goes, that had been her response as Sammy revealed all her inner turmoil. But for Sammy it was hell, real hell. Dealing with what happened was no easier. But she had to try and manage the guilt that consumed her every thought.

"Hey, you are NOT allowed to disappear into Sammy World, ok?"

Sammy met Corinne's eyes and smiled, "sorry. I'm over thinking everything."

"That's the Sammy way! So when are they letting Monica out of this place?"

"Maybe tomorrow."

Corinne grimaced, "that'll be awkward in the little love nest."

Sammy scowled, "don't push it madam. You are supposed to be my friend."

Laughing her friend reached for her hand, "I'm laughing at it, but I know it's hard for you, and seriously how is she coping Monica?"

"What you mean without breasts? She is threatening to kill herself, then the consultant arrives and talked to her and he apparently is the one who'll help her find herself again...in her words. She is booked for a reconstruction in a few months, once her treatment had finished and her wounds have healed. She is now planning bigger and better than ever."

Corinne rolled her eyes, "that sounds like Monica."

Sammy sighed, "it does."

She sipped at her coffee quietly and Corinne was staring at her when she finally returned the Styrofoam cup to the table, "what's wrong?"

Initially Sammy shrugged giving her head a shake, but Corinne could see the tears in her eyes, "I know it's been hard...but..."

Sammy dropped her eyes away from her friend, and Corinne leaned forward, "what is it Sammy?"

For the last few hours Sammy's world had been threatening to implode, the previous evening, the kiss, that was something, of course, but the doctor's words earlier were more terrifying, more life changing than anything else.

She hadn't intended to voice her concerns, to tell anyone, because she didn't want to involve anyone else, and she hated that she sounded like her mother. Because suddenly she knew how her mother was feeling.

"The biopsy results and everything came back...the cancer she has...it's potentially a genetic one." The words were painfully dragged from the depths of her being and accompanied with a sob.

"What does that mean for you?"

Sammy could feel tears now, sliding down her cheeks, "I sound so bloody selfish, so self absorbed."

"No, you don't. You sound worried, and that's quite right."

Nodding sadly she offered, "they want me to have a blood test, see what it shows."

Corinne processed it for a moment then looked at her, "this is the Angelina Jolie thing?"

"Potentially," she whispered.

Corinne leaned across the table and took her hands in her own, "there's no choice here Sammy, you have to think of Eleanor. You in any shape is better than no you."

"I know that."

"And I know it isn't easy for you to think about."