The Girl

She was a tiny baby. Right on the edge of being too unhealthy, weighing only 6.2 pounds. She had oddly long fingers and toes and almost a full head of brown hair. She had beautiful blue eyes that would soon fade to a nice green color. She was almost always happy, from when she was a baby until she was around 15. That's when it all went downhill.

Around that age, she lost most of her confidence. She'd always call herself names like fat, ugly, annoying, and many more. She never loved herself, although she loved to make people feel good about themselves. Kind of odd if you ask me, but who am I to judge? She would always make someone smile, no matter what. She never failed to make someone happy.

Then came the boy.

He seemed like he was oh so perfect. Poor little girl. She fell for his charm and how he teased her and held her. She thought he truly loved her. He told her every night he loved her, and she did the same. How could the girl not see he was clearly lying? She was too far in love to tell. Her friends had warned her about him, but he never listened. She was too caught up in all his lies. How many lies he told her, she did not know.

One day, when they were alone, something horrible happened. He kissed her. Now this wasn't just some kiss, this was her very first kiss. He had made it feel so real to her, but he'd only used her. He'd kiss her and grab her waist and pull her close, he'd "accidentally" touch her, and many more things. He wanted more. It was all he ever talked about with the girl. To him, it wasn't enough, but to her, it was almost too much.

About two and a half weeks later, he did the worst thing he could ever do. He dumped her. Over text. He told her about a relationship he had five years ago, and how he still had feelings for her. He said he still loved the other girl.

The girl put down her phone, hot tears streaming down her face. She ran to her room and did something she never thought she'd do ever again. She dug into her drawers and pulled up her jacket sleeves, revealing the old scars that covered her wrists. She slid the cool blade across her warm skin, making a few new cuts. This was her way of punishing herself. She punished herself because how gullible she was, for not being enough for the boy, for believing everything the boy said. She hated herself more for not being what the boy wanted. She wondered what the other girl had that she didn't. She had him. That was enough for the girl. She got onto her bed, wiped the blood from her wrists away, and cried. She cried all night.

After that is when everything got worse. She wouldn't eat, she wouldn't sleep. She'd cut her once clean wrists, she'd cut her once clean thighs. She'd cut anywhere where she could hide. Her friends noticed the change way before her parents. They saw the once happy girl now drowning in a pit of sorrow. She wasn't talking much, she would sit alone, and she'd ignore anyone who tried to help. She was a mess, and it was all because of the boy.

Every day, as soon as she got home, she'd lock herself in her room. She wouldn't come out for hours. Sometimes, she'd pull out her guitar and try to play, but it only made her miss the boy more.

But that time had passed. It was slowly turning to winter, but she was still in pain. She thought she had been suffering too much. It had been about five months since the breakup, and she only felt worse. She told herself the pain would have to end. She couldn't live like this.

She didn't want to go, but she felt this was the only way to make it stop. The only way she could be happy again.

As she made her way up the long and winding stairs, she thought about the boy. She thought of how much she loved to be with the boy. She thought of all the things they did together. She remembered how he kissed her, she remembered the cute little surprise hugs and kisses he gave her. She remembered how she giggled when he kissed her nose, and remembered all those times alone. She wondered what she could've done to make him stay,and started to wonder again what the other girl had that she didn't have. Thinking of all these things made her cry.

When she finally reached the top of the building, she felt it was cold and windy. Perfect sweater weather. She had on his sweater that he forgot to get back. It still smelled like him. She looked out over the city and all the faces. She recognised a few, but there was one that stuck out the most. She knew immediately who it was, just by the way he walked. He looked right up at her, gaping in horror. It was the boy. He seemed to be with someone else too... He was holding her hand. When the girl saw this, she felt another hot tear hitting her cold skin.

She looked down at him, only to find him running towards her. He was running as fast as he could. He was hoping to make it in time...

She decided to wait for him, but only to see what he'd do. No matter what he did, he would not stop her from jumping. She could hear the boy shouting at her from the streets below to stop. Saying she had so much to live for. He wanted her to come down and just talk to him, saying this wasn't the way to handle this. No. It was too late. She had made up her mind. She was done.

She took one last breath, looked down at him, and fell. She didn't know what to expect next. All she could hear was the boy's voice in her head telling her he loved her. Telling her she was beautiful. Telling her he'd never leave her. Telling her endless lies.