Chapter Six: Hard Truths

Chapter Six:

Hard Truths

A sharp jab to my ribs woke me early in the morning. The sky was still a dark, deep blue and the world around me was fast asleep. I was curled up close to Soren, underneath his bearskin cloak. The memories of the previous day played over in my head as I moved away from him, my body burning with embarrassment. Before me, Rekke watched us with amusement sparkling in her dark eyes.

"Rekke?" I asked, rubbing the sleep from my eyes. "What is it?"

"You said you'd teach me how to shoot. I want to do it while the others are still sleeping, so they won't know I'm weak."

Damn it to Hel. I groaned internally. I'd forgotten my promise to the young she-goblin. I was mildly surprised she'd still want to train with me, after all, I did kill Helka last night. Shuddering, I studied the ground. The prey lines had become more visible since absorbing Helka's power and the current of living beings flowing through the air was almost tangible.

A quick glance around the camp confirmed that everyone was still asleep. Rekke must've had the last watch. I stood and stretched my aching muscles. We'd ridden hard yesterday and my muscles burned with effort, the mental exhaustion inside of me from my fight with Helka didn't help. Doubt was slowly spreading through me like a poison. Now was not the time to pay attention to that. If I could sneak off with Rekke, maybe I could survey the land for when I made a run for it.

"They'll be pleased if we manage to catch breakfast," I said, keeping my voice like.

"Of course, we'll manage." Rekke sniffed, obviously offended.

She's almost like a human child.

From where he stood, Panic nickered as I grabbed my bow. I reached out and ruffled his mane. "Stay here, boy."

Rekke raised an eyebrow at me. "Won't we cover more ground on the horses?"

"We'll scare more game," I said and started forward. "Come on, before the others wake."

Rekke paused, glancing at the sleeping goblins. "What if they're attacked?"

What if I don't give a damn? "I'm sure they'll be able to handle anything."

The young goblin grabbed her bow and followed at my heels. The cold air was sharp in my lungs as I walked through the Permafrost. Dead leaves and branches littered the ground, forcing me to walk with care. The skeletons of trees and other plants reached high into the sky desperately clinging to a sun that would never warm them.

If I could forget where I was, who I was with, what I was doing, it was almost like I was back home so many years ago hunting for my family. My heart sunk in my chest; that would never happen again. Even if I managed to escape this and live in the human world there was a nagging part of me that feared never belonging. And Soren, gods damn him, is right about would happened. The idea of the goblin lord looking out for my wellbeing made my body burn in a way I didn't understand. Soren was better off as far away from me as possible.

I reached for the nail in my bracer, hoping for the reassurance the cold iron would bring, but snatched my hands back at the slight stinging in my fingers. When I looked, they were bright red with small burns. Fear fluttered like a trapped moth inside my belly. This isn't right. It can't burn me yet. I'm not like them. Fear rooted me to the spot as the events of last night replayed in my head. Then I'd acted exactly like them.

"You and Soren looked very cozy last night." Rekke's comment stopped me in my tracks.

I raised my eyebrows at the young goblin. "Are you implying what I think you are?"'