Chapter 4: Angel Island and A Trapped Echidna

"Woah..." Project stared at the beautiful scenery of the floating island with awe.

"Welcome to Angel Island, Project." Tails said as he landed the plane.

"It's so... beautiful..." Project commented.

"I know. Follow me; I have a friend that I want you to meet." Tails smiled as he started walking, Project following him.

What they came up to as they walked, was a golden, worn down temple. The many steps still looked in tact, but they looked as if they were going to fall apart.

Project followed Tails up the steps.

"Knuckles!?" The young fox shouted as they made it to the top. Tails started to become worried when nobody answered back. He frantically ran around, searching for something. Project stood in awe at the big, green emerald in the center of the temple. It reminded him a lot of the emerald G.U.N. had, but this one was gigantic compared to that one. He slowly walked towards it, hand outstretched. Something in his mind told him to touch it, and he did just that.

As soon as he did, a white light invaded his vision, and he passed out.

{¤~¤~¤~¤}

Meanwhile, Sonic was preparing what he was going to say to the G.U.N. commander as he walked into his house. He knew this was going to happen, but all that was on his mind was protecting Project... He felt that Project was like Shadow, and now he was given the chance to save Project like he would have saved Shadow. He blamed himself for Shadow's demise...

"Sonic the Hedgehog," said the commander, getting his attention. "It took you a while to get here, and where's Miles?"

"I was in the middle of a picnic with Amy, and Tails had to get some groceries." Sonic didn't like lying, but something in him said that it was okay to lie to save Project.

"Very well then." The commander said. "I'm sure you have heard of our missing project?"

Sonic simply nodded. "Yes, I have."

"Have you, perhaps, seen it anywhere?"

"No."

"This project of ours is very dangerous, world-threatening even. Now, being the hero you are, I hope you are searching for it, so it doesn't destroy the world."

"Of course I am." Sonic lied. "But, what kind of powers does this project have?"

"They are unknown." The commander stated. "We intended to keep it controlled, but somehow it escaped."

"Oh..." Sonic held back his disappointment. He really wanted to find out more about Project. "Is there anything else?"

"Yes. As soon as you find it, call us. We know how to take care of it."

"Will do." Sonic said with his signature thumbs up.

The commander nodded and walked out of the house. Sonic sighed as he collapsed on his couch. Lying is a tough thing to do...

He got back up and quickly grabbed his red chaos emerald, saying the words "Chaos Control!"

And with that, he disappeared to Angel Island.

{¤~¤~¤~¤}

A bright light. That's what Project first saw. Then, there was a girl. A peach colored echidna with green and yellow hair items in her dread-like hair. She had a white and green dress on that made her look like an ancient ruler of some kind. She had a gentle smile on her face.

"Who are you?" Project asked her.

"I am Tikal. I have brought you here because I have to talk to you."

"Where are we?"

"Inside the Master Emerald."

"Wh-What do you want to talk to me about?"

"The future."

Project's eyes were wide. "I have a... future?"

Tikal nodded and smiled gently. "Please be careful, Project. There are many challenges waiting for you out there. Some are physical, yet others are emotional. Keep a level-headed mind and stay focused. Your task it to find your real self. You had a life before G.U.N. took you, you just don't remember it. A fall gave you amnesia. I can't say anymore than that about your past."

Project's eyes were wide, and his ears were alert. He couldn't believe that he had a life before he could remember. "I'll be more careful, I promise."

She smiled. "You should leave now; someone is calling for you."

And, sure enough, Project heard a voice. "Project! Come on, wake up!"

"Sonic..." Project murmured.

"One more thing before you go." Tikal said. "Don't let history repeat itself."

Project nodded, not really knowing what she ment.

"Goodbye." She smiled. "And good luck."

A bright light invaded Project's vision, and he passed out again.

{¤~¤~¤~¤}

"Project!" Sonic shouted, shaking the unconscious hedgehog.

"Sonic?" Project mumbled, his eyes opening to see a worried blue hedgehog.

"You scared me there for a second!" Sonic exclaimed, hugging Project tightly.

"S-Sorry Sonic..." Project said, a warm feeling swarming in his chest from the sudden hug.

"It's okay." Sonic smiled.

"Sonic, I've searched the whole island, but Knuckles is nowhere to be found." Tails ran up to the two.

"It's not like him to leave his precious emerald like this..." Sonic said.

"Something horrible must've happened!" Tails said. "But... why would someone take just Knuckles, and not the emerald?"

"Maybe he had a secret admirer that went too far." Sonic joked.

"Sonic, now is not the time to be joking." Tails stated blankly.

"I know, I know." Sonic said.

"Your friend is missing?" Project asked, and the two nodded. "Who would take him?"

"Well, there's always Eggman." Tails said, and Sonic nodded. "We should also check Rouge's house, just incase."

"Sounds like a plan." Sonic said with his thumb up. "Let's check Rouge's house first."

"I'll take my plane back to the house and meet you there. You can just chaos control." Tails waved as he walked back to his plane.

"See you later, Tails!" Sonic called out. "And be careful!"

"I will!" Came the young fox's echoed reply.

Sonic smiled and took Project's hand. "Do you trust me?"

Not knowing why he asked, Project nodded.

"Okay. Chaos Control!" Sonic yelled, holding a ruby red emerald. They disappeared, and Project realized why he asked that.

For on the door of the house was a symbol that Project grew to hate.

"Th-This person works for G.U.N.!?"