Chapter 6: To Bust an Egg

Project was confused at the blue one's words. To bust an egg? What does that mean?

"Follow me." Sonic said as he ran off.

"Wait for me!" Project yelled as he started running, his rocket shoes kicking on as he slowly caught up with the blue blur.

Sonic just kept running, loving the feeling of the wind rushing through his quills and his feet hitting the hard ground. He smiled as he saw Project beside him, racing just like Shadow would: eyes faced forward in determination, leaned forward to gain more momentum, and arms gracefully moving back and forth to the rhythm of the skates. He felt like he was finally racing Shadow again, though he knew this was just Project.

Project smiled, never feeling a better feeling than this. Wind was the only thing he felt as he stood up. He looked over at Sonic with a new found competitive spirit, ready for a race. Sonic just smirked in response to his silent request and sped off quickly. Project ran faster, now gaining the lead. Sonic caught up and the two were like that for the whole trip.

"I win." Sonic shouted triumphantly when reached their destination.

"Sure you did." Project said sarcastically.

"I did!" Sonic argued. Project smiled at the childish hedgehog. He felt more comfortable around Sonic and his friends, now that he knows he can trust the blue blur. Something with that race triggered something within him. It showed a new found need to race the blue hedgehog and argue a bit. It felt almost... familiar, in a way.

Sonic was thinking the same thing. The race and the arguing over who won felt familiar to him.

'Shadow...' A voice in his head said.

Ever since Shadow died, Sonic had a horrible ache in his heart. Somehow, he always thought that Shadow was still alive. He kept searching around the world, looking for his crush, but he never found anything. Shadow's body was never found after he fell to Earth. Tails said that the fire, that was probably there as he reentered Earth's atmosphere, caused his body to disintegrate. Sonic didn't believe him, though he acted like he did. Shadow was created to withstand a lot, being the ultimate lifeform and all, so how could he die from that? What exactly was going on? A few years after Shadow's death, a look a like of him appears out of nowhere and doesn't remember much. There's something strange going on here, and Sonic is going to figure it out. Maybe after they find Knuckles. At the moment, he was worried for his hot headed friend.

Sonic started walking into his arch rival's base. Project followed warily- the huge, metal building giving him a clear sign of danger.

"Sonic?" He asked, looking at his friend.

"What?" Sonic stopped and looked at Project's slightly frightened eyes.

"This place looks dangerous..." Project said, his ears flattening to his skull.

"Don't worry." Sonic smiled reassuringly. "I'll protect you. I do this almost everyday."

As Sonic ran in, different lasers, guns, and robots shot at him. Project just stood there, questioning the other's sanity. Sonic dodged all of the gunshots and spin dashed through a line of robots. Then, he jumped on one of the guns and jumped when another one shot at him, destroying the on he was on. He continued to do that until one was left, in which he used his homing attack to get that one. Then, he finished off the rest of the robots.

When he was finished, he turned to Project and said, "What are you waiting for? Come on!"

Project walked through the mess, looking at everything. He looked in amazement at the destroyed machines that were just standing tall a second ago. Project guessed that Sonic liked to have his ego grow because he grinned triumphantly when Project looked at him with shock and amazement.