32. #5 Dan Girardi & #18 Marc Staal (New York Rangers) Part 1

1. DAN GIRARDI
~DAN'S POV~
Shit, shit, shit, I am late again. Ever since my marriage with Pam ended, spending time with kids is quite difficult. And it seems Pam is trying to keep kids away from me.
Still thinking about my messed up family conditions, I nearly run over a girl, crossing the road.
"Hey!" I hear her yell and her fist hit automobile bodywork.
"What do you think you are doing?!" I roll down the window and yell at her. She rolls her eyes and continues her way, but as much I can see from the distance, she is certainly mumbling something under her breath. I also notice I nearly ran over a real cutie. A sound of a honking car behind me wakes me up and I notice I am still not waiting eventhough the green light is lit.
"Yeah, yeah," I mumble to myself and speed up. Today's day is getting better and better with every second- first argument with my now ex-wife, then running late for practice, not forgetting to mention nearly running over a pedestrian and now this.

Ten minutes later I park my car on my assigned parking lot and grab my bag out of the trunk. With quick steps in head towards our dressing room while listening to the sound of pucks hitting against the boards, reminding me how late I really am.
"Shit, shit, shit," I hurry through the halls, which seem endless like everytime I am in a hurry. Not paying attention to anyone around me, I bump into someone. I stop on sight and look at the person I bumped into. She is looking at me from the floor, her eyes squinted as she nearly spits: "You really don't watch around yourself, don't you?"
"I am sorry, but have we met?"
"You nearly killed me."
I look at her once more and this time more carefully. Holy shit, it's the girl I nearly ran over. I stretch my arm and help her get up: "I am so sorry. Today I am a bit off..."
"Family issues?"
"How do you know?"
"Lucky guess. It was nice chatting to you, but I really have to go."
She starts walking away and just before she is too far away, I yell after her: "What's your name?"
She turns around: "Y/N. And you are Dan Girardi, am I right?"
"How did you know?"
Smile grows on her face as she answers: "I might be a girl, but I live in New York and I've been a Rangers fan since forever. See you later, Dan Girardi."
Wordlessly, I stare at her back as she walks away before I finally get myself back together.

At the practice I notice her sitting in a first row behind the goal, checking our practice time-to-time when she is not typing on her phone.
She must be typing to her boyfriend I think sourly and nearly crash into Zucc, who moves away just in time: "Hey, are you trying to kill me or what, man?"
"Uh? No, sorry, Zucc."
He shakes his head, but doesn't say a word. I look at Y/N again and this time our gaze meets. She blushes slightly and looks away.

~1ST PERSON POV~
Just before I got to the MSG, some idiot nearly ran over me with his fancy and expensive-looking car. After the first shock I look at him again and realize I was almost ran over by Dan Girardi, one of the Rangers. Still thinking how I nearly died because of a reckless driving, I bump into a tall figure, causing me to fall on the ground. Before looking up, I roll my eyes. First someone (and that someone happens to be quite attractive, therefore is hard not to forgive him) nearly killed me on a pedestrian crossing and now I bumped into someone who doesn't seem to feel anything. I look up and see another Ranger smiling down at me: "Are you alright? I am so sorry, I didn't see you, I was so busy with my phone."
He lifts his phone apologetically and I give him a small grin: " I am okay. What about you?"
"Didn't really feel anything. Glad to hear you are okay. May I ask what's your name and where are you heading?"
"I am Y/N and I am starting to work as a store clerk in MSG. And if I am not mistaken, you are Marc Staal."
"Pretty and smart," he grins, stretching his arm and pulling me back on my legs.
"Now, if you excuse me, I am already late for my practice. It was nice meeting you, Y/N."
He shakes my hand and soon he is just one person on a busy New York street, but the only one with a hockey bag hanging from his shoulder.
Well, that was interesting, I say to myself. I've been living in New York for my entire life, only few streets away from the MSG to be exact, but I've never ran into a hockey player, let alone two of the Rangers.
Still smiling like an idiot I hurry towards the MSG where my new job is waiting for me.

As soon as I enter the building of the Madison Square Garden, warmth of the indoors hits me and I take off my hoodie, revealing Rangers' T-shirt. Hey, I am a New Yorker, sue me now for rooting for Rangers.
I step towards the store and I notice it's still closed, lights inside turned off and blinds still lowered. Realizing I am way too early, I head through the familiar halls towards the bleachers where I will spend some time watching practice like many times before.

I notice Dan Girardi looking at me and smile to myself when he nearly knocks Mats Zuccarello down. Through out the practice my best friend was annoying me with how much she would like to get an autograph from Lundquist and whether I could get her one, so I spent half of the practice on my phone, trying to tell her I am not going to get her that autograph because I came here only to watch and not to bother players during the practice.
Just after I send her the last message I look up exactly when Dan is looking at me and I blush like crazy. I look away and to the time on my phone, realizing it's high time to leave. Quietly I get up and head back to the store, which is already unlocked.
"Hello?" I enter the store and look around.
"May I help you?"
"Yes, I am Y/F/N and I applied for a job here."
"Oh, so you are Y/N? Great, come here. I am Brian, a store manager and I will help you during your probation week."
I shake his hand and smile at him: "That's great. Nice to meet you, Brian."
"Nice to meet you too, Y/N. So, tell me. How well do you know Rangers' organization?"
You sit on the chair opposite to him and cross your legs: "Well, I've been growing up with Rangers, so I think I can say I know them pretty well."
"A hockey fan?"
"A die-hard hockey fan," I correct him, flashing him another grin.
"We rarely get hockey fans who are interested in working minor jobs, barely related to the team... usually girls come looking for job, but mostly for players' attention."
"Well, I can guarantee you, Brian, I am not that kind of a girl. I am looking forward to work here."
Brian looks at me like he's never seen a person before he claps his hands together in excitement: "Welcome to the MSG, Y/N."

Oh, if I only knew how much my life and the lives of two involved hockey players will complicate...