Chapter Forty Seven

By the time we wrap up and leave the recording studio, I'm feeling on top of the world.

Elliot was totally right. As soon as we started jamming, everything just fell into place.

The boys had already written most of the music and lyrics for the new album. They'd been practicing the songs for weeks, and the only thing missing was the acoustic guitar.

At first they just played through what they had, and I slipped in, adding the sound of my guitar to the music they'd already created.

It was clear to see why Felix was so determined to include acoustic guitar on the new album. Without it, the songs had the same old familiar indie rock sound of their previous singles. But with the addition of the extra sound, everything seemed to take on a mystical, romantic, almost eerie quality.

After hours of revisions and experimentation, we have the first song ready to record.

Now, as we sit around the kitchen counter discussing the plan for the next few days, my mind wanders to my own, real band. The one I'm actually a member of.

Alix and Micah, Wild Blue Yonder - the band I've neglected.

I feel almost guilty about how easily and effortlessly I slipped into Fable's songs. It's almost like cheating.

For the past year, every weekend meant at least one band practice in Zee and Alix's garage. We'd planned to start practicing several times a week over the summer break, and Micah was going to try organise some gigs.

This was meant to be the summer we'd start playing in front of people.

I haven't spoken to Alix since I cancelled our practice last weekend, and he hasn't tried to contact me.

He must still be pissed.

Of course, he doesn't know what's going on with me and Fable, unless Zee told him, which I doubt she would.

If I can just hold out a bit longer, and Alix doesn't lose his head and kick me out of the band, it'll be so worth their while.

Getting credited on the new Fable album isn't a big deal for me. What I really care about is the chance to have the boys pass some Wild Blue Yonder demo tracks directly on to their manager.

Getting signed with BYG Records is like winning the lottery. Once you're in with them, you're on the road to stardom.

My dream of being a professional singer, sharing my music and my voice with the world, is closer than ever. And I'm going to take Alix and Micah along for the ride.

I hear someone say my name and something about singing, but I'm too lost in thought to answer.

"Earth to Cupcake, do you read me?" Alastaire says, waving his hand in front of my face.

"She's totally zoned out," Ben says.

"Sorry," I say, feeling my cheeks turning red, realising that all of the boys are looking at me with expressions ranging from worry to puzzlement.

"Don't be," Alastaire says. "We were just wondering if you'd be happy to grace us with your singing tomorrow. Lyall reckons we should try the chorus of Hallowed with some female backing vocals."

"Yeah, come ter think of it, Felix is de only one who's heard yer singin'," Lyall says. "How about yer give us a demo?"

"Right now?" I say.

There's silence as everyone stares at me, waiting.

"Yeah, we're keen to see what all the fuss is about," says Ben. 'Felix said that- OUCH!"