Kiss Me Forever[Chapter 9: The End]

I don't know how long I have been out here. I ran soon after King Damien said that Athan would be marrying. At first, I was frozen on the spot. I couldn't move. As I said, my whole world came crashing down to me. I was suddenly numb and it was like I was floating. Thankfully, I was able to muster enough energy to leave because I couldn't afford to lose face.

I saw Katharina's minions following me before I walked as quickly as I can with the three-inch heels and ball gown I was wearing. I didn't want them to have the chance to say 'I told you so'. Everything was all too good to be true. Why the hell didn't I learn a lesson from my previous breakup with Athan? I could even faintly remember that I made I promise to myself.

I would not care about Athan anymore.

I knew I couldn't let myself give him everything again but I did. And that was just plain stupid. I don't think I could even blame it on him. I mean, he never promised me anything and it was I that let my imagination run wild again. It was I who dreamt of being together with him for the rest of my life and having babies with him. Athan didn't give me promises anything. He gave only what he could give to me-ever-nothing more.

I was at the labyrinth, where I got lost I said when I was younger. I didn't know why I went here but my feet led me this way. I didn't have any more energy to change directions. I pushed through the dark and sat down when my knees gave up.

I don't here anything except for the sounds of the nocturnal animals. It was quite peaceful here. I don't care that I am sitting on the ground, my dress now dirty and ruined, because for a moment I was with nature. I can't think about Katharina smiling on Athan's arm. It would only intensify the pain I'm feeling.

And then all of a sudden, the lights in the labyrinth were lit up. I wasn't in the shadows anymore. If it wasn't for the sky showing the blackness of the night, you would think that the sun had already risen up.

I stood up and kicked off my offending shoes. I didn't bother to pick them up but instead walked. In whatever way. I don't know how to go out of this maze and for now, I don't care. I'd rather stay here...maybe until I'm ninety. By then, I might be able to face Athan and Katharina again.

After several turns, I found myself at the center of the labyrinth. A marble fountain was built there from the early turn of the century as a gift of King Damien's father to his beloved wife. Little doves and hearts circle their way on it. Honestly, I've never been here before. After getting lost and shouting for hours, I concluded that nothing good would ever happen to me inside this maze. 

"What the hell happened to you?" a voice asked me from behind.

I spun around and saw Athan standing several feet away from me. He looked so disheveled and harassed. Well, to be engaged to a woman like Katharina, who wouldn't be?

"Where have you been?" He was now approaching me and with a couple of long strides, loomed over me. I continued to stare at him. I heard his voice but I couldn't the words that come from his mouth. "Gaia? Gaia!" He snapped at me.

I blinked my eyes and shook my head. "What are you doing here?"

"Shouldn't I ask you that? My God, you already got lost here! You should have had more sense than to enter the maze again!"

Yes, I should have had more sense. I already got my heart broken by Athan and yet I let him do it again. Stupid of me.

He threw up his hands in the air and took my shoulders. "Are you even listening to me?"

I felt him resist the urge to shake the hell out of me. "Should I be? Oh, sorry," I replied nonchalantly. I stepped out of his reach and turned so that I didn't have to stare back at him. "Is the party finish?"