Alone Together

"Alone Together"

Dib watched as Zim ran out the doors. Dib was frozen with fear. "I don't get it... All my life, I've wanted to see Zim spread across an autopsy table, but now I.." Dib thought to himself. He came back to reality when the sound of thunder echoed throughout the lab. Prof. Membrane placed a hand on Dibs shoulder and said " Don't worry, son. We will catch that alien and bring him right back. And again, I'm sorry for thinking you were insane all those years." Dib looked at his dad and forced a smile. Prof. Membrane patted his son on the back and turned towards the other scientists. "Okay, scientists! We have to catch that alien at all costs! Get a search crew together and call the FBI!" The minute Dib heard Prof. Membrane say 'FBI', he felt sick to the stomach. Dib didn't know how to feel or what to do. Should he be angry because Zim got away again? Or should he be sad because he didn't want it all to end? Dib was so confused and he felt like crying. The Prof. continued to give the scientists instructions, until the sound of rain started surrounding the building. "Wait! Zim can't stand the rain! He'll die!" Dib thought to himself. Without a moment of hesitation, Dib ran out the door, in order to find Zim.  "Son? Where are you going?!" Prof. Membrane shouted, but Dib didn't care. He had to find Zim, even if it killed him.

Dib ran out of the building and found that a heavy storm had saturated the town. He looked around to see if Zim was nearby, but couldn't see him anywhere. He wouldn't have gone home, the FBI agents would be on there way to Zims house at that very moment. "Darn it! I hope he's okay.." Dib said aloud, remembering how Zim burned when he came in contact with water. Dib noticed a sign that pointed to the forest. He wondered for a minute. "No one will ever find him if he had run in there." Dib ran into the forest, as fast as he could. The forest floor was muddy and slippery, which constantly made Dib trip or stumble, but he kept running. He had to find Zim. He just had to! Dib ran deeper and deeper into the forest. As he ran, his jacket got caught on a branch. He turned and pulled at his jacket, but it wouldn't come loose. "C'mon you stupid branch!" Dib shouted through gritted teeth. Dib pulled with all his might, until his jacket ripped, sending him falling to the ground, face first. He looked up and wiped the mud off of his face. Dib stood up and looked around once more, but could only see trees and boulders. "I have to find him!" Dib shouted, slamming his fist into a tree. He cringed in pain and noticed that his knuckles had slightly started to bleed.

A loud clash of thunder and bright flash of lightning brought the forest to life, as birds flew from trees and small animals ran for shelter. All of a sudden, Dib heard someone sobbing. Dib shot his head up and looked around. "Zim?" He asked himself. He continued to look around, when he noticed a small cave. 'He's gotta be in there!' Dib thought. He slowly walked into the cave and noticed a person sitting there, with their head buried in their knees. "Zim?" Dib asked. The person perked up, revealing that it was indeed, Zim. Zim looked shocked, and his eyes were red from crying. "D-Dib?" Zim replied with a shaky voice. Dib didn't know what to do. He felt a strange feeling in his stomach, but it was a good feeling. He was relieved that he had found Zim. A few burns lay along Zims arms, as the wounds slowly grew. "Zim, are you okay?" Dib asked in a soft voice. Zim slightly nodded his head and stared at the ground. 'Should I say something else?' Dib thought. Dib hesitantly sat next to Zim, but remained quiet. Zim stayed silent as well and looked like he was going to cry again. Dib had never seen Zim cry. In fact, Dib had never seen Zim sad, either. "Zim, I'm really sorry about what happened at the lab. If I had stopped my dad, I could've -" was all Dib could say before Zim started to speak. "Dib, do you ever feel... I don't know. Like when you're surrounded by other people, you feel like you don't belong?" Zim said, starting to blush. Dib looked at Zim, shocked, but he knew what Zim meant.

All his life, Dib was called 'crazy' or 'insane' or 'weird', but it never really affected him. Dib never had any close friends and definitely never had anyone who he could even call his friend.But he never thought Zim would feel the way he did. Dib blushed as well. "Yeah, I know that feeling.." Dib replied, quietly and emotionless. Zim brought his knees closer to his chest and buried his head in his arms. Zim started to cry once more. Dib didn't know what to say. He felt the urge to do something, but he didn't know what. "I don't know why, but I've always wanted to find something out of the ordinary. Like Bigfoot or ghosts or.... Aliens. And I've wanted show it to everyone. To show people that I'm not crazy! But when I had the chance to show the world what is actually out there, I-I just couldn't bring myself to do it! Especially because that something... Was you..." Dib said, also feeling like he was going to cry. Zim looked over at Dib, confused. Dib blushed even more. He was about to do something brave. "Zim, I have spent most of my life being alone. But in the past two years of you being here, I don't know what it is, but to me, it feels like.. When I AM alone, You're alone with me, in a way. And if something were to happen to you... Then, being alone wouldn't be the same... I don't know how or why... But..." Zim turned his body towards Dib, looking stunned.

Zim had never had anyone feel that way about him before, and honestly, Zim never thought that he would feel that way about someone else. But everything that Dib had just said, gave Zim a feeling he had never experienced before. It was a warm feeling, that made Zim happy. Zim stayed while Dib continued to speak. "I can't really explain it.. But it's like.. I-I can't be... Without you, Zim... I need you with me.." Dib said, resting his head in his hands, blushing furiously. Suddenly, Dib grabbed Zim by the shoulders. Zim eyed Dib and watched as each tear slowly fell down Dibs cheeks. "Zim! I can't let anything happen to you! I won't let those FBI Agents take you and I won't let my dad run any form of tests on you! I won't let anyone hurt you! I want... To protect you.." Dib shouted, but by the end of his sentence he'd slowed down. He stared into Zims eyes. Zim froze at the sudden change of attitude that Dib was displaying. Zim stared into Dibs light brown eyes and saw how passionate he was about what he told him. Dib pulled Zim into a tight embrace. Zim didn't struggle or fight it, he let it happen. Dib finally let himself cry freely. "Zim... I-I can't lose you.." Zims eyes widened at Dibs statement, and he felt himself start to cry, too.

Zim wondered why Dib was showing this type of attitude towards him. 'Does Dib really care about me?' Zim thought with a small smile. Zim blushed. "Thank you Dib." Zim wrapped his arms around Dib and held him tightly. Dib held Zim close, almost like if he had let go, Zim would disappear. They embraced with the rain still pouring around them and the forest still alive with the storm.

Dib continued to let his tears roll down his face, but Zim felt safe in Dibs arms. After a while, they parted and looked into each other's faces. Zim stared at Dibs lips and found himself leaning closer to Dib. Dib tilted his head and allowed his lips to meet Zims, in a soft, tender kiss. Dib put his arms around Zims waist and pulled him closer, while Zim wrapped his arms around Dibs neck. They kissed each other for a long minute, but it felt like the longest minute to ever exist. At that moment, nothing else mattered. The two felt safe with each other. They felt like they were the only people in the world. Finally, Zim and Dib separated, with their foreheads touching. Dib moved his hands down Zims arms, past his wrists. He felt one of the burns and lightened his touch. Dib found his way to Zims hand and locked his hands in his. They sat in silence, hand in hand, fingers intertwined with one another. Dib looked up, to stare right back into Zims vibrant, red eyes, that somewhat shone like rubies. "Every lonely day, every name I've been called and every person who thought I was insane.. None of that matters now.." Dib said to Zim sweetly. His grip on Zims hands tightened. They both felt the colour rise to their cheeks once more, as Zim said " No planet in the galaxy could be better than where I am right now.." They continued to stare at each other.

No matter how alone they had felt before, they knew they were happiest with each other. Zim and Dib finally realised that they didn't want popularity, recognition or world domination. They knew that being alone was what brought them together. They knew that no matter how alone they felt, they could always be alone.. Together.

The end.