The Boys

With the 'cape' still tied around his shoulders and a smile on his face, Neil turned his attention back to the counter. He hadn't felt this happy in a while; however, his good mood was ruined when he heard muffled giggling coming from the stand next to him. He grimaced. "Rod, what the hell is so funny? You're giggling like a school-girl."

Rod broke into a huge grin and said, "You really have to ask?! I try to mind my own business, but I definitely didn't miss that little encounter with Rio. She's right! Who knew you could smile? Maybe she should come over more often, I like this lovesick Neil." Rod bent down to pick up one of the puppies in the pen near his stand and wondered just how far he could push his surly companion. "So," he asked, "when's the big day?"

Neil's face paled then turned a darker and darker shade of red. "What?! Don't you think that's moving a bit too fast? Idiot! I haven't even told her how I feel yet!"

Rod smiled victoriously "Ah-hah! So you do like her. That was easier than I thought. Man, she really got to you, huh? You would've never let something slip so easily when I met you almost a year ago." Neil hated how right that was.

Wanting nothing more than to wipe the smug look off of Rod's face, he scoffed. "At least I can have a normal conversation with her. All you do around Tina is sputter your words like, 'Uh, h-hey Tina. H-how...I mean, um. Uh...haha. Nice weather, yeah?'" His anger now getting the best of him, he continued. "Because that's the way to sweep a girl off her feet, right?"

Rod frowned, "Hey, I was just messing with you. I didn't mean to offend you or anything--no need to be so aggressive about it." He put the puppy back down in his pen and turned toward the counter. "Sorry for bothering you."

The two remained silent for the remainder of the afternoon, and it left Neil feeling a little guilty. But only a little, Rod had definitely struck a nerve. Did he like Rio like Rod said? Sure, she was obviously beautiful, but was he crushing or did he just find her attractive? Taking into account his lack of experience in matters of the heart, he just wasn't sure.

...

Three o' clock arrived, as did Rod's redheaded friend, Allen. To say that Neil really disliked Allen was an understatement. He didn't like his arrogance or his knack for getting under peoples' skin. And he especially didn't like the way he shamelessly flirted with Rio. 'Not that I like Rio like that, Rod doesn't know what he's talking about. Sure,' he thought, 'Rio has pretty blonde hair, and those green eyes...but that doesn't mean anything. Just because I enjoy her company doesn't mean I love her.' He felt uneasy about that last thought, but he ignored it for the time being.

Allen's voice cut through the silence as he approached the stands. "Rod, what's up? You look awful." He approached his normally energetic friend with a frown.

Rod glanced up at him and spoke without enthusiasm, "Not much, Al. Just have something on my mind." Rod's sulky expression was doing nothing to ease Neil's guilt and he felt an uncharacteristic urge to apologize, but held back. Maybe Rio's cheery disposition was influencing him more than he thought. He continued listening in on their conversation, curious as to what Rod would say.

Allen looked at his friend and sighed, "Does this have anything to do with a certain journalist we both know?"

Rod nodded, "Yeah, something to do with that, I guess. I just don't know what to say to her, and according to the jerk on my left, I turn into a bumbling idiot whenever she's around." He glanced at Neil before continuing, "Unfortunately, said jerk is right. What am I supposed to do? Even Neil is having better luck with his girl."

Neil became slightly nervous at Rod's last sentence, he really didn't want to get more people involved in this. He knew he was in trouble when Allen looked his way with a cocky smirk on his face. Allen faced him and leaned his left forearm on the counter. "So...Neil has a love interest, does he? Does it happen to be the spunky, blonde farmer that's always running around? Goddess only knows why she bothers with you when she could be graced with my presence every day."