Chapter 9: New Arrivals and The Forest

Aden's POV

Jess continued to stare out the window in this disgustingly pink shop. Her face is mix of emotions. Anger, maybe but definitely she was annoyed and a little sad.

I knew she hates to talk about the family we didn't have and the past we always have to hide from, I do to. But if she was even a little bit open to talking about it to Casanova or the Royal, I needed to jump on the opportunity.

I picked the mythology book up again. Jess had shown it to me a couple times before, when she had snuck out in the night to talk to me. Lately she has been complaining about how she has to get up early and that I should just move into the village. But she knows I can't. It would just be to hard to hide the past. I sigh looking down at the page again.

'Thor: God of thunder and battle. A hero for aiding in battles against ,his brother, Loki and an android created by Tony Stark called Ultron.'

"Hero." I mutter flipping through the pages.

Loki.
Glare down at his picture. His icy blue eyes stare back up at me. I used to look up to him, used to love him. His smile was becoming unbearable. I snap the book closed, interrupting the silence that had filled the room.

Jess sighs again looking at me, raising an eyebrow. 'What?' She asks eyeing me. 'Tell them' I say glancing at Laurence and Garroth. She shook her head, even more annoyed than before.

"Lady Aphmau." Laurence said softly, "What did you train in Mateli for?" He said avoiding the awkwardness that had just happened. Jess's face lit up, excited to talk about one part of her life that she wasn't ashamed of.

"We had... ahem" she cleared her throat " guard training there." We both smiled at the memories.

"Guard training?" Garroth asked surprised. I nodded.

"What level?" Laurence asked confident in what he thought was the answer.

"Here you go! Enjoy!" Kawai~Chan said dropping off a lemonade, a tea , and two coffees at our table. I picked up a coffee and slide the other to jess.

"Seven." I said simply, sipping on my hot drink. Laurence nearly drops the tea he just picked up.

"Seriously?! Seven?!" He asked in disbelief.

"Don't sevens become personal guards for sons and daughters of lords?" Garroth asked looking me up and down as if he was surveying an opponent.

Jess looked away from us glaring out the window again. Her eyes begun to turn a light red color.

"Jess." I say softly making her eyes return to normal. I pull one of our 'special' watches out of my pocket and toss it across the table to her. She frowns looking down at the watch.

It was meant to monitor our heart rate and levels of dark magics. She stared at it a moment longer then sighs again slipping it on her wrist. I put the other on.

Jess looks out the window again but, know I realize there is something more written on her face. Anticipation as if she was waiting for someone and I know exactly who.

"Aspen didn't check in .... did he?" I say, she nods.

"Not for the past week. I-I'm getting worried." she said still staring out the window.

"I don't think it's possible for you to be anymore worried." I chuckle, she smiles resting her head in her hand.

Out of the corner of my eye I see Laurence tense up. I look at him more closely. His face was pale almost white, and he was staring strait at Jess. I look back at her, the watch now clearly visible. He must recognize what type of monitor it is. Her amber eyes grew wider as Laurence whispers something to Garroth, the color drains from his face as well and every muscle in my body is telling me to run.

Aphmau's POV

I stared back at Laurence, searching his eyes. All I see is betrayal, anger, and pain.

I frown wishing I hadn't seen anything at all. I look back at Aden 'we need to go now' he tells me and I nod, silently getting up.

"Wait." Garroth commands, grabbing my arm "Who are you?" Tears begin to to fill the corners of my eyes.

Betrayal. All I feel is betrayal as look in to Garroth's striking blue eyes. He no longer trust me. In a few moments I lost one of my best friends.

I shake my head in disbelief as Aden pulls me out the door and down the stone path. We begin walking away from the cafe.

"Stop!" Laurence shouts "Wait!" We continue walking, only slightly quickening our pace.

"STOP!" Garroth commands angrily. I ignore them, blocking their voices from my mind. Jogging faster, and faster until we are both all out sprinting down the path towards my home.

We are at the wheat field in seconds. I stop for a moment looking around for a way to escape. A wolf barks, I immediately recognize who the bark came from. I sprint of in the direction of the black dog. Strait into the forest. A few arrows fly past me and Aden grabs my arm pulling me behind a large oak tree. I look back at my house as Garroth and Laurence arrive there, greeted by an angry Zoey.

"HOW DARE YOU!!!" she yells slapping Laurence across the face.

"Damn." Aden mutters.

"What!?" Laurence says cupping his cheek.

"UGH!" Zoey says throwing her hands in the air "You don't get it do you?" she said folded her arms across her chest.

"We don't have time for this. The imposter is getting away." Garroth says elbowing Laurence lightly.

"THERE IS NO IMPOSTER!!! THAT WAS THE REAL APHMAU AND HER BROTHER!!!" Zoey yelled again, then slammed the door in their faces. They looked at each other then into the forest just barely missing us.

"What have we done." Garroth says looking at the ground.

I pull my self back behind the tree, suddenly feeling self-conscious. I pull a pair of dark chocolate brown leather ankle boots out one of my backpacks and put them on my feet preparing to run again.

Aden offers me his hand, I take it gratefully pulling myself up off the ground. I hear the same wolf bark again.

"Zenix."