Chapter Twenty Two

A/N: Hello everyone! I know it's been a few days and a lot of people have been going crazy wondering what happens next so here's the newest chapter. This is a bit of a long one and has a few twists in it—plus a revelation some of you may have been waiting for. 

As always, please vote and comment. TMMM is probably going to be done tomorrow so for those who are waiting on that one too, just hang tight. 

***

“Honey, I’m home!”

I looked up from the cheddar, potato and bacon soup I was slowly stirring and grinned as Sebastian strode into the kitchen.

It was over two weeks later, more than a week since I moved most of my stuff to the penthouse. I didn’t bring much—mostly just my clothes and other personal items. He had half of his massive walk-in closet cleared to make room for my clothes and shoes and even amusedly admitted to being relieved about having fewer options to choose from in the morning. Not that he suddenly had a tiny wardrobe—the walk-in closet was the size of a small cafe.I barely filled my side of it.

Sebastian insisted we keep my apartment simply because it meant a lot to him. I wouldn’t have protested if he wanted to give it up but I secretly hoped he wouldn’t because it was also special to me—not just for the memories we’ve made there but for the simple fact that Sebastian had picked it out and designed it for me, spending hours painting my walls and filling them with beautiful murals.

We easily fell into a daily routine, living like an old married couple.

“How did the meeting go?” I asked as I went to take out the crusty buns I’d kept in the dish warmer while waiting for Sebastian’s arrival.

It was Friday night and usually we’d be heading out to dine somewhere, maybe catch a movie or something, but he had a last minute meeting about a potential investment in a railroad project that looped through northern US and Canada that he dropped me off after work before meeting up with other investors.

I sent him an email to tell him that I’d sent Percy off early to start his weekend and that I was making dinner.

Living in the penthouse was very comfortable with a small staff of three to look after all our needs but I wasn’t used to having help that it was a bit of an adjustment at first. They were all eager to make sure I didn’t lift a finger which while I appreciated, made it difficult for me to simply do as I pleased without inconveniencing anybody. Sebastian told me to just tell them to leave me alone but I did not have his natural master-of-the-house confidence to pull it off. I quickly decided that telling them that their duties were done for the day or for the week was the best strategy. They seemed to take the hint and happily leave us to our own devices.

So for the last two hours, I’ve been cheerfully making one of my favorite home-made soup that I know Sebastian would love (cheese alone will do it for him), crusty bread and herbed butter, and an apple crumble that was still baking in the oven.

“Things look promising,” he answered as he shrugged off his jacket and walked up to me, wrapping his arms around my waist before pulling me in for a thorough kiss. “I’ve missed you.”

“I’ve missed you too,” I murmured against his lips before pulling away and leading him to the dining table I’d set out. “Now, come sit down and have dinner. It’s nippy out there and I made soup with bread and a nice, warm apple crumble for dessert.”

He eyed the simple spread I’d laid out with the large candles flickering inside loosely woven metal holders giving the room some warm, comforting glow. I went back to the kitchen to spoon the soup into two bowls on a tray before carrying it carefully to the table.