Chapter Seven

Ray's POV

"Ray, what do you mean?" Ella Malfoy's hand grabbed my arm and I was paralyzed for a split second. My heart started pounding and I could feel my palms getting sweaty. I hid all of the emotions that had start accumulating since the first day I saw her. I pulled an imaginary curtain and replaced my face with a dull unaffected expression.

I turned around, I stared straight into her eyes. Her eyes were a mystic color of gray. I wanted to keep looking at, without getting caught...for now.

"What do I mean?" I asked a dumb question and nervously answered it, "I mean I like---" I paused, trying to find something to fill in the gap. To replace the word you. "Eating cake."

Lia, Sarah and Tina turned around obviously not falling for it. But Ella seemed to brush it off. She furrowed her eyebrows.

"What did you mean when you said 'after all it's Potter'" she sounded like she was explaining to an idiot. An idiot like me.

"Potter won." I blurted out. I regretted what I had said and quickly recovered, "My favorite is vanilla ice cream so come on let's go faster!"

"Wait, potter won what?" she asked. I got irritated-how could she pretend she didn't know. "Stop pretending Ella, stop making a fool out of yourself. We both know what happened. The whole school does."

"Why did you fight in the duel?" she repeated her question, this time she stated it more sternly.

"Ella don't you get it," Tina explained, "He likes you and so does Potter."

Ella's face turned to a lighter shade of pink; she seemed to think for a couple of seconds before answering.

"That's something that happens to me all the time," she stated, examining her nails that were perfectly manicured. She sighed and said, "Oh well then, I guess I can't do anything about it. You can't make an ugly out of a beauty," she seemed to be interested only in her nails, "Now can you?" this time her eyes darted straight into mine.

I decided to stop sounding so pathetic and forcefully smirked (if that's even possible), "My Royal Highness." This time her eyes went wide and she simply threw a friendly smile, "You are my loyal servant."

"Are you guys on an emotional roller coaster or something?" Lia asked a rhetorical question and pulled Ella's hand- so that she started walking. 

Till the rest of the walk to the ice cream shop we talked and joked not mentioning a single word about what had happened earlier with Potter and me.

She thankfully didn't notice that I was looking at her all the time. Every time I joked I quickly looked at her to know if she laughed at it or not. To know if she approved of it.

~
We were sitting in the cafe and I had already finished my ice cream.

"So Ray," Lia started her eyes were laced with mischief, she circled the rim of the tea cup with her finger and looked up to me, "Are you like single?"

I was taken aback by her statement and million of thoughts rushed in my mind. Damn, is she interested in me?

I shook my head and replied, "No I'm single, bu--" I stopped myself when Lia looked at Ella and winked. She smiled and mouthed something like; he's all yours.

"But Ella," I paused scolding myself for continuing the sentence, "I can put taken in my Wizardgram if only you take me,"

At this she smiled and replied, "If you think I'm flattered, trust me..." she sighed deeply, "I am"

Sarah who was quiet all the time snorted and afterwards covered her mouth in embarrassment.

Tina choked in her blueberry ice cream and gulped down water to stop coughing.

Lia smirked, she patted Sarah's and Tina's back. She raised one eyebrow at me. "I knew it,"

Ella who simply smiled to all of her friends, kicked my leg gently from under the table. "I am warning you Anderson, if I fall for someone head over heels you wouldn't want to be that someone."

"So you're over from the denial stage and now you're admitting to me that you have feelings?" she shook her head and opened her mouth to say something but I was faster, I mocked her voice "Trust me, I already knew that you liked me."

"Cocky much?" Christina said as she devoured her last teaspoons of ice cream.

~
On Monday I had Potions class. The exciting part was that it was with the Gryffindors. It's my favorite house to compete with.

I sat in my usual place with Draco. At the back. We usually made fun of all the people sitting next to us. But this time Draco was unusually quiet.

"What's up?" I asked. It took a long time for him to reply; as if he was trying to construct a proper sentence to reply. I waited for him to answer patiently.

"It's not okay for me to be feeling this," he paused scratching his head furiously. He massaged his eyes and started again, "I shouldn't feel this way towards..."

I waited for him to continue. "Whatever." he muttered after a long pause. I tried to say something but I found no words.

"Mud blood!" he called to her from the other side of the room, she didn't react at this.

"Mud blood!" I said in a loud voice. She was sitting in the front row of the seats.

"Shut up ." she turned around, she was practically spitting venom.

"You know you're a combo of everything that is labelled as 'Loser'" Draco paused waiting for her reaction. "A nerd. A mud blood. Ugly. All you need are nerdy round glasses, just like Potter's."

"You actually sat down and made a list?" she asked and she didn't show even a hint of being humiliated in her face. As if she had gotten used to the name calling.

At her remark however all of the Gryffindors roared in laughter. She flipped her hair and triumphantly sat down.

"Oh my Drakie, you like her! Do you have the cooties or something?" Ella who was sitting right in front of us turned around and whispered so that no one would hear us.

"This is what I wanted to tell you in the beginning of the lesson," he muttered quietly. He put his hand through his hair furiously and, trying not to be noticed, glanced at the mud blood.