Chapter 45- Le'Shelle

"Where are you going?" Snake asks, after I rush to get dressed and head toward the door.

"Out." I need to get some-damn-where so I can think. I can't believe that Scarface-looking cockroach pulled some fucked-up shit like this.

"Le'Shelle," Snake barks.

"That ain't a good idea. The streets are too fuckin' hot, baby."

"I got some business I got to handle," I tell him and reach for the doorknob. Snake flies across the room and blocks my ass before I can even step a foot out the door.

"What fuckin' business you got?"

"Didn't you just bump me out your shit a few minutes ago? How you comin' at me like this?"

"Shelle, I ain't in the mood to be arguing," he says barely holding on to his temper.

"If you don't want to argue, then close your mouth. I ain't gonna be trapped up in this small muthafucka like some damn prisoner. I can take care of myself."

Snake draws a deep breath and hisses, "Ain't nobody sayin' shit about you not being able to take care of yourself."

"Then go over there and finish handing your crown to your cousin." I try for the door again, but he slams it shut.

"Snake—"

"Le'Shelle, you stressing me. Now you know I gotta keep my eyes and ears everywhere or all of this shit is gonna crumble on my watch. I gotta get new weapons and a strong connect going or our folks are going to stop eating or start defecting. I know that you don't want that shit happening, do you?" Crossing my arms, I look away.

I worked my ass off to get on this throne and here he go handing the muthafucka over to some nigga that I've just laid eyes on for the first time? Shiiiiiit. Snake grabs my chin and forces me to look at him.

"Do you?"

"No."

"A'ight then. Lose the attitude." He releases my chin. "I'm gonna do what I gotta do to lock this shit down—while tryna deal with this sticky situation with the Cartel Lords."

"What sticky—oh, shit. Not that again." My eyes nearly roll out of the back of my head.

"Look, Shelle. I know what I know and I know what I saw."

"Whatever." He glares and huffs out a long breath.

In the back of my head, I know I should be more supportive. As a child, the loss of his brother bothered him deeply to the point that he never spoke or reached out to his mother while she was locked up. None of this means that I should board the crazy train with him. Besides, what did it matter?

"All right.You want to go out, then go out," Snake says.

"But where are you gonna be at?" Oh. Now he's my damn daddy. Since I don't feel like arguing all damn night, I go ahead and give him something.

"At Kookie's—maybe we'll grab drinks at Passions or just hang. I don't know." Snake gives me a weird look. "What? Now you don't like Kookie?"

"There's just some shit with—nah, you know what? You go on ahead. This conversation is giving me a headache."

"Cool." He doesn't have to tell my ass twice. I shove him out of the way.

"Yo. Hold up."

"What is it now?"

"Take June Bug and Kane with you. They're out there on lookout. I'll feel better if you have more muscle and guns with you."

"Babysitters?"