Chapter 3 - Dans POV

The next few months pass in a blur and every day I feel myself falling for Phil even more. Every moment with him feels like the best and I know that I'm in love with him.

"Bye guys." I hug Chris and PJ before they head home for Christmas. I'm staying at Hogwarts, along with Phil. My heart flutters at the thought of being the only two fifth years staying here for Christmas. Most people go home, especially fifth years, wanting to spend time with family before the O.W.Ls but not me. It's hard to explain. My parents...they're Muggles. They don't understand me being a wizard...devout Christians they think I'm the devil. I spend the summers in youth hostels or sleeping at PJ or Chris' houses to avoid being beaten or having them call the creepy exorcist woman on me. Phil is staying because his parent are going on a cruise around the Caribbean over the break and he didn't want to go. He wanted to stay with me. I grin. A pair of gloved hands cover my eyes.

"Guess whooo?"

"Jeez Phil, at least try to make yourself sound different!" I laugh as I turn around.

"I thought I sounded different." He mock pouts,

"Anyway, c'mon Hagrid wants help putting up the tree."

"Okay I'm coming."

"Beautiful." I step back and look at the tree. It's hung with baubles and tinsel and jars that Professor Flitwick enchanted to have an ever glowing flame inside. The angel on top softly sings carols and smiles down at us.

"Great job boys, five house points each." Says McGonagall.

"Thanks Professor." replies Phil.

"Oh and I think as you two are the only fifth years in the school, I shall allow you to stay in a dorm together."

My heart thumps wildly at the thought of being able to spend nights with Phil, even though I think he's straight...I am brought back to my senses by Phil asking me whether I want to stay in the Ravenclaw dormitories or whether he should come to Hufflepuff. Curiosity gets the better or me and I say Ravenclaw before leading him up the stairs to fetch my things.

"Well your decor is certainly..um...brighter than ours." Phil says of the bright yellow curtains on my four poster bed. I chuckle,

"You get used to it I suppose. Although I remember falling out of my bed in shock after my first night when I woke up to mustard coloured fabric in my face." I smile at the memory of how I used to be (and still am I suppose) - awkward little Dan Howell who didn't have friends until PJ took me under his wing. I look up and Phil is staring at me with a small half smile on his face.

"What?" I ask.

"Oh...nothing." He shakes his head.

"Okay..." I shrug my shoulders and turn back to my trunk. A just of freezing wind blows in through the window (who the hell opened the bloody window, it's freezing outside!) and blows half my homework across the room.

"Crap." I mutter and start picking up parchment. Phil leans down to help me and as I reach for the last one, my hand meets his as he reaches for it to. I glance up and realise how close we are. His blue eyes stare into mine; it's like looking straight up into the sky on a cloudy day. Our gazes don't break as I hear him fumble for the parchment and we both slowly begin to stand up. We stand practically nose to nose and I try to resist the urge to press my lips on his. I shake my head and take the parchment.

"Thanks." I say quietly.

"It's okay." He whispers, looking anywhere but at me. I close my trunk and haul it down the stairs and out of the Hufflepuff common room as quickly as possible, not saying a word