Chapter 3: Where Is My Mummy?

Nick Fury

"You're telling me we're inviting two seventeen year old strangers onto our team?" Steve asks as he flips through the file. "You have considered that they may not want in, right?"

"Not to mention that they're demigods. I have the feeling that we're getting ourselves into a situation we have no idea how to deal with." Tony's eyebrows go up when he sees the boy's history. "Kicked out of six schools? Damn, that's better than I did."

"Stark, last I checked, you were the one initiating most idiotic situations, and if we handled those, we can deal with anything," I say, referencing Ultron. "If Percy doesn't agree to get his ass on this team, his dad will make him. And where he goes, his girlfriend goes, so we don't have to worry about that, Rogers."

"Speaking of his girlfriend, she's who concerns me the most. A daughter of Athena? She seems most likely to hatch an evil plan to spy on us or something." Thor warns. "I've had bad experiences with goddesses of intelligence in the past."

I sigh, rubbing my forehead. "From what I could tell when I spoke to them, Zeus and Poseidon are very anxious to get Percy and Annabeth into our care as soon as possible, and—"

"HOLD ON. You've talked to Zeus and Poseidon?" Tony's eyes widen.

I give him an exasperated look. "Yes, and if you don't shut up and listen, I'll call them up—"

"Wait, shouldn't it be down? Like, call them down...since they're above us..."

"Goddammit, Tony, I just told you to shut up! As I was saying, they want us to take the two kids in because they think the kids can help us, and that we can help them. Apparently, there was somehow this whole other war that was going on against f*cking Mother Earth without us knowing, and most of Percy and Annabeth's friends died hideous deaths in the war. The gods think that we can give them a new purpose, and new friends." I eye each of the Avengers in front of me. "So I expect you guys not to weird them out on the first day."

Suddenly, there's an ear-splitting BOOM, and two men are standing on top of the table we're sitting around. One is dressed in khaki shorts and a shirt that reads "I'll Beat You In A Water Gun Fight", and the other wears a white tunic with gold trim. The Avengers stare, speechless.

Natasha finds her voice first. "Who are you?"

I clear my throat and say, "Avengers, meet Zeus and Poseidon," gesturing first toward the man in the tunic, then toward the one in khaki.

"Nice to meet you all. Thank you, Nick." Poseidon smiles at all of the Avengers, then leaps off the table and onto the floor. Zeus follows suit.

"We are here to discuss the matter of Percy and Annabeth," Zeus begins, ignoring the shell-shocked looks of the Avengers. "It seems that my brother's upstart son—"

"Zeus, can't you hold just one conversation without insulting Percy? His refusal was completely justified, and you certainly did not present our request very well."

Zeus looks livid at Poseidon's words, but continues, "Percy has refused to accept the 'we-need-you-to-get-the-Avengers-under-control' mission. And of course, since Percy has refused, so has Annabeth. Basically, we need a plan B to get the two onto your team."

"Why have they refused?" I ask. After reading Percy's records, I expected him to be immediately willing to do anything heroic.

Zeus hesitates, looking slightly put off.

"In a nutshell, he's tired," Poseidon sighs. "And he has every right to, because we've sent him on mission after mission throughout the past five years, and he has lost so much along the way. But, I'll admit, even I did not expect him to reject our request."