It's empty without her

Chapter 2

It's empty without her

When his eyes open once again he finds himself in a room, the slow and steady beeping sound help him realize he was in a hospital room. Thankfully the lights were off, just the window giving the room a soft warm light and he found himself staring at it. It seemed like he laid there for forever, the sun rising more and more in the sky by the time he heard the hospital rooms door open. It has him drawing his eyes away from the window and to the man that walked in. The lab coat gave the man away, a doctor, he found himself thinking the man looked like he was a know it all.

From the black rimmed glasses and from the way the man dressed, the hair was dead give away though. It was parted like the man took more than twenty minutes on it. The man completely ignores him, walking to the side of the bed where he could only guess his charts were before he was looking at the screen where the beeping noise was coming from. He wanted to say something, to alert the doctor but when he opened his mouth nothing had came out. His throat hurt like someone had rubbed sandpaper on it for the last couple days, raw and scratchy.

So he raises his hand instead, tapping against the plastic guardrails on his bed to get the doctors attention. Which worked, the man jumping and eyes going wide behind those glasses. So maybe the doctor didn't know he was awake, surprisingly since he hadn't tried to hide it.

"Ah, Mr. Falkenrath. I hadn't noticed you were awake." He felt his face scrunch up from being called by his last name, it wasn't something a twelve year old was to used too. Even his teachers from school doesn't call him by it, mainly because they usually butchered the shit out of it. Though the doctor seemed to be able to say it just fine.

His mouth opened again, a wheezing sound coming out instead of his initial word he had been trying to say. His cheeks burned from the embarrassment the sound brought him but all the doctor did was smile and made his way to the sink, receiving him a cup of water. Which he normally would have grabbed with his own two hands if they would've worked like he needed and wanted them too. The embarrassment worsened when the doctor then once he was right by his bed brought the cup to his lips do drink the much need water.

When the water washed down his throat, relieving the ache and pain there he had realized it helped a headache that he had without knowing.

"Thank you." The voice that left him was scratchy, a little more pitchy than he would've wanted but he felt the relief the water had brought him. The doctor nodded, placing the cup next him on a little tray, which held some of his belongings. He eyed them, knowing he hadn't grabbed, there wasn't a chance he could because of the fact he had passed out. He felt grateful for who even had done that for him.

"Of course, I was looking over everything." He could tell the doctor seemed like he felt a little bit awkward, having to talk to him like he was an adult. That alone made him realize he really was all that there was left and he kinda had be one, or at least act like an adult. "You were very dehydrated, which your body didn't take well. That's why you've been the hospital for two days." He hadn't realized he was already in the hospital that long and by the look on the doctor's face he seemed to come to same conclusion. "Ah yes, you were in and out of consciousness." Maybe he wasn't a know it all.

Before he could open his mouth to talk about what was wrong a nurse walked in, the scrubs he wore had the characters from frozen on them. It was cute and knew if his mom was around would've loved it. It brought tears to his eyes, his mom wasn't going to be here with him anymore, wasn't going to sing silly songs or clean the scrapes from his face after he got in yet another fight with one of the neighborhood kids. She wasn't gonna be there with him when graduated or when he finds the love of his life. It broke his heart. He held back the sob that was lodged in his throat, not wanting to cry in front of these two strangers.