Chapter 1

"Mum, please tell me you're kidding. I'm 17! Well, nearly. I don't need a babysitter, I'm pretty sure I can take care of myself," I argued.

My mother is absolutely ridiculous. She thinks that her seventeen year old daughter is unable to take care of herself and needs a babysitter. A babysitter. That just completely made my self-esteem vanish and I didn't have a lot of it in the first place.

"Honey, there are so many bad things happening around our neighbourhood lately. All the robberies and gang fights, at least when there's someone else in this house I know you're safe!"

"But what if that guy is in one of those gangs! What if he tries to take advantage of me?"

"Oh Lia don't be ridiculous! I've made sure that he isn't like one of those people. Besides, he is a nice boy and I'm sure he'll take good care of you."

"But why'd you choose a boy mum? Why not a girl? Aren't babysitters supposed to be girls?"

My mother let out an irritated sigh, "Camellia, I am done with this conversation. You are going to spend two weeks with the babysitter I assigned and that is it. No more whining and no more 'buts'. By the way, please change into something more decent and fix up that hair of yours."

I felt perfectly comfortable in my baby blue cotton shirt and my matching black cotton shorts. My hair was just the way I wanted it as well, in a messy bun. My usual dress code on a lonely Saturday evening. It didn't matter if my mother was a famous fashion designer and I was her daughter. Or the fact that I should be like her and be more of a fashionista. Truth is, I don't care about the way I look. All I cared about is not losing myself and my own character because of the highly contagious bitch disease that's being passed around by 'the cool kids'.

"Why'd I have to change? I think I look fine."

"Most days I wouldn't give a crap, but today is different. We're having a guest over for dinner, so please get changing."

A guest? It's been almost a year since we had any guests apart from the frequent sleepovers that Taylor and Megan come to. Maybe mum is starting anew. Maybe mum found a new boyfriend who will treat her better than the way dad did. I could be a bitch of a daughter and start another debating session, but my mother's pleading voice and the thought of her being happy made me give in.

I grumbled, "fine."

"Thank you sweetie. You have an hour or so, so please hurry."

I sighed and trudged up the stairs. I pulled my hair out of its bun and stepped into the shower. A part of me wanted to be rebellious and just lock myself in the room all night and probably call up Megan or Taylor to bring some chips for me. But I was never the rebellious sort, I never failed my mother once and I'd always do my best to please her. Even in a situation like this, I'm still gonna be that filial daughter I've always promised her to be, because my dad failed her.

I let the cold water wash away my problems and took my time, an hour is more than enough. After I was done, I just grabbed a grey skirt with black cat prints and a black top. Then I just threw on some black sandals and left my hair down the way it was. I decided not to put on any makeup, and go all natural. If he was just some dude that made my mother fall helplessly in love with him then why bother? Besides, it's not like I'd spend time trying to poke my eyes out.

My mother smiled the moment she saw me and spoke in a western accent, "you looking good over there, Cam."

"Mum, please don't talk like this when you're in Texas. You'd probably make people have the assumption that you're an imposter. Just be yourself, be that kick-ass fashion designer and slay it like you always do," I smiled.