Chapter 5

That dream-like moment, unfortunately, didn't last very long. I swore it had only been less than five minutes before I decided I couldn't take it anymore and Jace helped me out of the pool. 

"T...Th...Thanks..." My teeth chattered like nobody's business and Jace laughed. 

I glared at him, "Y... You have no right... t... to laugh at me... your lips... are... so blue... y... you look... like you died... or... something..." 

He gave me a weird look and I shut my eyes in embarrassment. Sometimes I really wonder why do I say things. 

"Why are you staring at my lips?" He challenged me. Damn it, I knew he could see right through me. 

I wasn't sure how his voice still sounded steady and full of amusement when I was flat out struggling to speak. My face heated up and while I prayed that he couldn't see anything in the dark setting, I tried my best to stay nonchalant by fishing about for my clothes and I really gave it my all to pretend that I didn't hear his question. 

But Jace isn't the school's biggest bully for no reason. He could see through every lie, every escape attempt and he could see through fear, making him the scariest guy I've ever met. Of course I'm not going to tell him that. Besides, I've already decided that being scared of Jace and his bunch of hooligans was a thing of the past and what better way to conquer that fear by starting off with the ringleader? I must be nuts. 

"Lia?" He beckoned. 

I inhaled a sharp breath. "Hmm?" 

"I asked you something," I didn't need to turn around and look at him to know he was smirking. He knew what he could do to people with his dangerously attractive looks and I hated him for that, but could I blame him? Not really, if I had looks that could kill I would probably use it this way too. 

"What'd you ask me?" I turned around and gave him a confused look before putting on my clothes. "C... Can we get back inside? It's freezing out here," I rubbed my arms and walked in mini circles. 

Jace took a step towards me and bent down till our eyes were levelled. "We can go back in after you answer my question." 

I groaned, "What are you? My daddy?" 

Now, I wasn't one who cared for dirty jokes but I've heard a whole bunch of them and it's not my fault because in this generation, everything you say has meaning different meanings and I'm pretty sure Jace knew I wasn't trying to make a dirty remark but it must've caught him off guard because I've never once seen him stumble for words.

"W - What? Who said anything about that?" 

I rolled my eyes. "I was talking about my father, dumdum. I used to call him 'Daddy'. Don't think so much." 

That got him even more flustered and I was quite proud of myself for being able to stir the conversation in another direction. "Yea duh I knew you were talking your father. Who said I was thinking of anything else?!" 

I shrugged, "just making sure. Now can we please go back inside?" 

He picked up his shirt awkwardly and mumbled "yea whatever" and I hid my face behind a satisfactory smile. 

Victory for Archer. Defeat for Ackerman. 

***********

"The towels are in this cupboard over here and all the other toiletries you need are in the shelves above. If the water is too hot, just twist the knob to the right. Oh, but make sure to wait a few minutes after you turn on the heater, cuz I swear this heater has a mind of its own and will not be afraid to either scald you or freeze you to death." I couldn't help but chuckle at Jace's face as he gaped at his bathroom while I explained to him where everything was.