Educated

Alfred turned fifteen, and we had a small celebration. I would turn eight next month, so we would hold another party then.

Lukas still doesn't talk, but I've gotten the feeling lately that he could if he tried. He also changes his form to grow with me, so now we both look like eight year old kids. I've found since my hair has grown that my hair is silver, and I have decided to keep it cropped to my ears, like most boys in my original world, as soon as I can cut it. I made a brush out of some of my old toys, and found my hair is pretty straight. Unlike my past brown curly hair, this hair looked good naturally. Quick brush and it's done.

In past years, I've also found out my elder brother is king, with a regent. He was jealous of my ability to summon a legendary creature when he didn't have even a lick of magic, something he'd always dreamed of having.

His envy soon turned to hate, and he had me locked up until I grew old enough to work, at eight years old, in which I would be sent outside, still ignorant of the world, supposedly selfish, as I told Alfred to report repeatedly, and whose pride would make me die before I worked.

I turn to the fifteen year old Alfred. My caretaker and my friend, I wanted to take him with me. He seemed to believe I would abandon him because of some past trauma. So for his quiet fifteenth birthday, I asked if he would pledge his loyalty to me and none other.

He dropped to one knee, and cried as he replied, "I can think of no greater honor." It seems a powerful mage such as me was almost as prestigious as being the Kings regent, and on top of that, I had not only memorized all the material in this world, to him it seemed I was a genius, who could forget more than he would ever learn.

Seeing Alfred do it, Lucas kneeled too. With their new pledged loyalty, I prepared for my eighth birthday.