Chapter 14

Jule's head shot up quickly, mouth opened with a loud gasp. She checked her surroundings, lost. There was walls, and it was dark. She was on the ground, which was mucky and stained with who know what. Jule looked forward, pointy coral reefs blocked every way for her to get out. She was in some type of cell or dungeon. But...

She quickly clamped her mouth shut, realizing she was still underwater. But...why wasn't she choking? Curious, she opened her mouth. She wasn't choking, she was breathing! Breathing underwater. She thought for sure she had died, the disgusting mermaids had put something in her mouth. Just like how they did for- Ace!

She looked around, no sign of Ace anywhere. She looked out the cage, there were two large fish standing in front, on opposite sides of each other. They weren't mermaids, but mean looking fish. Eyes bulging on each side of the face, tail of a seahorse, ears of a human, tongue of a reptile. Jule didn't know who they were, but they looked weird. Jule touched the pointy corals that was blocking the entry, staring at the weird fish.

"Um, hey." She called, desperate.

They didn't answer, stood silent. She growled, she didn't have time for rude things. She wanted to find Ace, and these things weren't helping. It was a no bueno for her, and it probably won't be for them either if they don't answer. Jule reached for her sword, standing up. Thrusting it violently down on the corals, hoping they would break.

It did nothing, but set the fish guards on alert. They pointed a staff with a large sharp tip that looked like it could shred her to death, it was pointed in her direction. Slowly, Jule eased back. Placed her sword in its place, and took a few steps back. She was going to find another way out some different way, she had to get to Ace.

"Wait until the ceremony for you to be free."

Jule frowned when she heard that deep voice, looking over the fishes way, They were still, looked as if none of them had said anything. She eyed them suspiciously, somewhat determined to find out who had said that. Mostly one of them said she may be free at some type of ceremony. She looked at the one to the left, hopeful he had said that.

"Are the one that said that? Will you, " she gestured towards them with a small wave of her hand, "things are actually going to let me out of this dungeon or whatever it is?"

The one on the left nodded, but said nothing. It was the one that was on the right that spoke up, and had the deep voice she was looking for in the first place. "You may be free from this coral cell, but not with your life."

Jule raised her eyebrows, she didn't come to this world to die underwater. Although she felt her lips trembling slightly, she was still determined to find Ace and get the hay out of here. "Sorry, fish. I'm not dying today."

She saw the fish tsk, shaking its head. "My name is not fish, and neither is my friend right next to me. I'm Hu- "

"Nope," Jule interrupted, "I don't have time for greetings, I need to get the H-E-double hockey sticks out of here."

The fish tsked again, and now both turned back around to stand their post again. Jule growled angrily, they weren't helping and she was getting agitated. Frustrated, she banged the corals with her fists. After the first punch, she stopped. It hurt like hell! Shaking her hand in hopes to get out somehow alive, Jule sat down against the wall, thinking of ways she could make an escape.

***

BANG-BANG

Jule shot up as quick as a jet, looking around warily with her fuzzy eyes. She rubbed them, hadn't realized she had fallen asleep. Especially where she was captive, it was terrible. She looked out, there stood the two fish that were guards, opening the gate.