chapter one

2 years ago from now.

"Mum, I told you I can take the bus home from dance now , it'll save you a journey" I focused my eyes on the blurry drops of rain scattered across my mother's car window. Rain was common during winter in Toronto, as well as a million other different weathers.

"Richelle honey, what kind of mother would I be if I made you travel on the bus to dance?" My mum replied.

"Hey, I know your jobs are hard work and you deserve a break, not to be driving this far." I told her, placing a comforting hand on her arm. Her skin, despite the level of hard work and no time for herself was clear, and soft and motherly. Her soft brown hair, a little darker than mine had just been pulled out of a ponytail and was effortlessly wavy. My mum wore thin glasses that often balanced on the edge of her nose, making her having to push them up every few minutes. Behind the glasses, she had green eyes just like mine.

"Thanks darling, Ever since you're dad left me you've been my rock" My mum said, giving me a smile. Then, out of the dark mist outside came a 3 tonne lorry, my mum completely lost control of the wheel and the front of her car in the side of this now fire lit lorry.

I remember waking up in hospital with my neck feeling as though it weighed 500 tonnes and blood across my arms and legs. My next step uniform was damaged and so were my ribs and legs. I remember waking up looking over at my mum, who was still unconscious and her face motionless. My vision was blurred but I could see my mum and I were both surrounded by busy nurses and doctors. I remember as my vision became better, this one nurse who was standing next to me and she was telling me that everything was going to be okay and that I shouldn't try moving.

About an hour later, the doctors had taken me into a separate room and cleaned me up, I had 2 broken ribs, Concussion and several torn ligaments in  my legs, They told me my mum was still unconscious.

Eventually, one of the nurses came and told me that my mum had severe brain damage and internal bleeding, I remember my whole life crushing when they told me there was nothing they could do. I remember feeling physical pain in my heart and all of my other injuries seemed irrelevant now. I remember asking through tears if I could see my mum. The nurse that was comforting me earlier said it was okay and so they took me through to her ward. I remember leaning over and hugging her, her skin was cold and her face wasn't full of happiness as usual.

"Mum, No, Mum please - you have to keep fighting mum come on" I whispered, my voice breaking.

"Come on Mum, don't give up mum you have so much to live for" I got angry and started screaming her name whilst crying. She gave no response.

The doctors took me back to my room and everything was wrong. My mum wasn't supposed to die now, I seemed angry at the driver of the lorry, I felt angry at the doctors for not being able to save her, Angry at my dad for leaving us, Angry at myself for going to dance.

After that day, I got taken in by my mum's sister Jenna seeing as my father was nowhere to be found - he was probably out in Hawaii with models or something ridiculous. I got so much sympathy from people pretending to care. My god damned father didn't even bother to show at the funeral.

After I finished high school, I didn't want to live in Toronto so I enrolled to take classes in UCLA. Miss Kate from the Next step knew the head of dance very well and she allowed me to take several of her classes. I wanted to start at a place that no one felt sorry for me or no one gave me special attention because of my dead mother. I knew this is what she would've wanted.