{ Chapter Twenty-Three }

Jack felt awfully bare without Baby Tooth's warmth on his chest.

"Did you mark down the spots?" Flynn crouched beside him around the cobblestone bend, eyes hard and focused. Jack nodded, handing over the sheet of crumbled paper. On it, Flynn had drawn lines in the vague shape of the castle walls for Jack to take on his scout in the skies.

Flynn mumbled under his breath, counting the dots Jack had etched. "Twenty-two... Twenty-Four... Twenty-six guards," he said finally. "That we know of. Most of them are likely outside, so the tough part is gonna be getting in. And then we've got about three-dozen doors to check, if not more. You sure you can't use your..." he waved a hand in the air "sixth-sense to lead us to her?"

"I'm sure," Jack said. The thread had completely faded not too long ago. It had been faint in strength compared to the one that lead him here, but he'd expected it to last far longer than this. He closed his eyes a moment, felt for the prayer, the words Rapunzel had said in his head, and how much he wanted to follow them. But when he opened them again, the grounds were just as normal as they'd been before. What had been different with the thread this time round?

A sinking feeling filled his gut. Jack refused to think that anything had happened to her. She was needed; Pitch wouldn't harm her.

Would he?

Flynn glanced at him, unsure. He paused. "They can't see you, right? With your whole non-existent, spiritual thing?"

"Lack of belief," Jack corrected. "And no. I don't think so. I didn't exactly stop to test it out." The most likely thing was that they couldn't. But he'd also been under the impression that Flynn Rider couldn't see him, yet here they were.

"I'll go in from the back," Jack decided. "You keep watch." Despite how much he believed in Flynn's siding, Jack still had every intention of being the one who found Rapunzel. They didn't need a repeat of what happened at Evanora Hailwell's home, and he didn't exactly trust Flynn to not contemplate betraying them again if a better offer came. Jack knew very well how tempting Pitch Black could be with a few well-chosen words.

Flynn rested an elbow on his bent knee. "Do you want me to bake you congratulatory cookies too while I wait?"

"I think Rapunzel would appreciate that, yeah," Jack agreed, eyes narrow.

Flynn sighed, gesturing to Maximus with a tug to his reigns. "And so we shall await to swift our blondie away."

Something pulled at Jack's chest—a feeling unlike that of Gothel's expulsion, but one still somehow unknown to him. Our blondie. The feeling was uncomfortable, overwhelming, and he pushed it deep within the depths of himself. He would focus on fetching Rapunzel out of Pitch's grasp first.

But was he the one Jack should be fearful of? When Rapunzel had prayed to him about a week ago, she'd been afraid for her life—of what her own mother would do to her.

Jack didn't tell Flynn that he intended to fly Rapunzel away—or at the very least hide her until North or Bunnymund found their way here through their portals. He stood from his crouch, the stone wall just tall enough to cover him, and willed the winds forth.

"Watch out for the shadows," he told Flynn. Flynn nodded once, turning to glance around the bend.

"It's nice of you to worry, Ice Man."

The castle sat at the very top of the mountain Corona was built upon. Though streets and homes climbed their way to its gates, a lush forest hugged its back. Jack curled the winds toward the forest, toward the large, stone wall surrounding the gigantic building. Though he wouldn't ever dare admit it aloud, North's Workshop was nothing in size compared to this. Yet Jack still thought it unimpressive next to what North had made the Workshop to be.