iii. (UNEDITED)

America Singer

My face paled as soon as the guard had said that one word. Rebels.

"Southern or Northern?"

"S-Southern. And they've taken the entire first floor of the castle, with hostages," was all the guard managed to say before falling unconscious.

I gasp, heading towards the door.

"America! Where are you going?"

"I'm going to save the hostages. I might not be the 'best' queen but those hostages are captured by ruthless rebels who will stop at nothing to win the throne." I say, turning the knob.

"Wait! It's far too dangerous to go outside." Maxon says, his large and warm hand cupping my own.

"But I have to," I whispered. "My life for dozens of others."

"I can't risk losing you again, America. I'd never love again. I've already set my heart on you. If you die, I'd die as well."

I blink back tears and gave a throaty laugh.

"Maxon, I love you. But this is something that I need to do."

There was a moment of silence, only our ragged breathing could be heard.

"Fine," I huff. "We'll get round up the guards and everything and then head for the hostages."

I'll help set them free but there are tons of other people who might be possible hostages.

"Thank you," Maxon breathed in a sigh of relief.

"I'll protect you, America. Forever, always, and I love you to the moon and back."

My breathing caught in my throat once I heard a sickly creepy voice call out my name.

"America..." The voice called out, followed by a sick and twisted laugh that made my toes curl.

"What was that?" I question.

Maxon clenches his jaw. "A rebel, and they're here."

A rebel. A rebel was on this floor and we were stuck in a room with hardly anything to defend ourselves with.