sixteen

DINAH'S POV

I woke up drenched in sweat from the third bad dream tonight. As my heart started to calm down from the excessive night terror, I looked over to the clock on the bed side table. 10:27 AM. I sat up on the bed with my knees pressed to my chest and wiped the sleep from my eyes.

I turned to see Y/N laying comfortably beside me. At first it was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen until I realized what today was.

My head started aching uncontrollably. I couldn't focus on anything except the excruciating pain that pulsed inside of my head.

"Shit." I groaned, circling my temples with my index fingers. I did my best to slip out of my bed and walk to the restroom without causing Y/N to wake up.

When I stepped onto the cool tile floor, I felt my body shiver a little as I made my way to my make up bag. After rummaging around in the acoustically set room, I found a bottle of ibuprofen and poured out four pills to pop in my mouth and swallow down dry. Although, the pain relievers haven't been working lately anyways.

I put the seat down on the toilet and sat down to try and get my head to stop pulsating in a cringing way.

The light flicked on, which made the migraine even worse, and when I turned to see Y/N standing in the door way with her hair and clothes a mess, I did what I could to keep my facial expressions at ease so I wouldn't set her off.

"Babe?" She yawned. "Why are you sitting in here?"

I bit down on my lip and shook my head, taking a stand to walk over and kiss her forehead. "It's nothing."

"You sure?" She yelled out to me as I walked back into the room to crawl into the bed.

"Yeah." I replied quietly so that my head wouldn't ache as bad.

--

"Stop acting like that. You're making me nervous." Y/N pointed out as I turned steering wheel to park in my mom's driveway.

She was right. I was acting weird. I was fidgeting and trying to pretend like my brain wasn't coming apart at the seams, but it was.

I couldn't shake the immense stressful thought about what my family is going to do or say when I spill the beans about my relationship with Y/N.

"I'm okay." I responded.

"Bullshit." Y/N retorted, rolling her eyes as she watched me turn the ignition off. "There's something you aren't telling me and it's really starting to piss me off."

My hand reached across the console and I gripped her thigh roughly. I sent her an angry glare as her eyes locked on mine. "Listen to me. You're going to straighten up when we get in there. I don't care how I'm acting but if I see you start to bring this up again, I'll take you back to your parents house." Y/N looked at me in fear but I didn't care. I needed her to know I was serious. "Do you understand me?" She gritted her teeth and nodded. I reached for my door handle and yanked it open. "Then let's go."

I knew I was being a little harsh on her but this was serious. The feeling deep in the pit of my stomach knows this isn't a game. This is my family we're talking about. My whole life could be changed by just one little conversation and it scares me more than anything.

I knocked on the door as Y/N stood behind me on the first step. It didn't take more than ten seconds for someone to open the door. It was my mother and she was looking just as good as always.

Her smile lit up, along with her eyes, as she exclaimed, "Mama! You're home." Her hands reached out and pulled me into a deep hug. I could smell the faint scent of her perfume on her blouse and I let myself get enveloped with the smell like I used to when I was younger. She pulled away and her eyes met the girl's behind me. "Y/N! You've been away way too long. Move Dinah." She pushed passed me to pull Y/n into the same loving hug I was in only a few seconds ago. After she pulled away from Y/N, she smiled to us, "Y'all are late but you're lucky there's still some food left."