explanation

the ending of the book (the epilogue, basically) was a bit confusing, so i'm here to clear that up.

in chapter 15 there's a part where kellin feels as if he will never see vic again: "...as if they were never going to see each other again." and then, "But, who knew, it'd actually end up that way?"

a lot of you must've found out that was foreshadowing, which, of course, it was.

kellin never did see vic again. he never saw him again after he had left for college in New York. the last time he ever saw him was when his body was in an open casket.

yep. that's right.

vic had died in New York and nobody knew anything about it until three days later when one of vic's close friends told the police who to contact. mike was the one to know about this first since it was the only person vic's friend knew about. mike told his family about it and later, kellin. their reactions were shocked and heartbroken. kellin was a mess more than anyone else, to be honest.

vic died of a lost bullet, sadly. the culprit was found and arrested two weeks after the funeral of the young victim.

and here comes the end of the book in which they both "meet each other again". that's where it gets really sad.

the only time they were able to meet each other again is after the death of kellin. kellin died of a heart attack at an old age. he left behind his daughter copeland, who he had with his late wife katelynne.

kellin moved on a few years after vic's death and decided to settle down with someone else. despite marrying a lovely woman and having a child with her and claiming his love towards her, he didn't really love her. he felt deep inside that he was still not over vic, that he still loved vic. but it was too late at the time when he realized that.

katelynne died before kellin, due to a car accident. her body, being badly injured and almost mutilated, was cremated. kellin couldn't even see her after he death.

kellin took the responsibility of taking care of copeland and raising her as a single father who didn't dare to settle with someone ever again.

he knew who he truly loved and would tragically never get over. vic was his one true love, but he wasn't there any more.

any who, after kellin's death, he ascends to heaven (please dont be rude about this tho, this is my belief) because he is finally at peace. all he wanted was to see vic again, but he couldn't leave the life he had at the moment, it was almost a sin to him. and that is where he and vic meet again.

it's kind of confusing still, but i hope it cleared up some doubts! love you guys!