Things Start to Cave

Amber's POV

(7 months after with Joe)

"Just relax and focus on the target." Said Joe as he watched me aim my last arrow at the tree.

I breathed in and as I breathed out, I gripped the bow and finally let the arrow go, only to have it miss the target again.

"This is useless!" I yelled as I tossed the bow to the ground.

"Come on you have to keep trying. You got closer to the target this time." Replied Joe as he walked over to me from the tree he was leaning against.

"Come on, try one more time." He said, having me look up. I groaned then nodded. He smiled and went to gather the arrows.

After a few moments, Joe returned, handing me one arrow.

"Alright, now load it up, good." He said as he watched me closely.

"Now, just breath, and then take your shot." I loaded the bow, raised it towards the tree, took a deep breath in, then let the arrow go, this time, having hit the target.

"Oh my god! I got it! I did it!" I cheered, pointing at the target with an arrow in the middle.

"Yes, you did. See I told you could do it." Replied Joe as he smiled down at me.

"Alright. Why don't you go get the arrow while I set up a few more targets." I nodded and went to retrieve the arrow.

As I pulled the arrow from the tree, I heard a growl from behind. I quickly turned around just in time to find an infected charge towards me.

I let out a loud gasp as the infected toppled over me, knocking me off my feet, and making me drop everything. Using my arms to keep it away from my face and neck, I called out to Joe.

"Joe!" I didn't hear anything, so I called again.

"Joe! Help!" I heard slight groans but didn't see him, so I took measures into my own hands.

I took a big risk and went for the knife that was inside my boot. I let out a groan as I felt my fingers brush past the handle.

I made the mistake of looking up at the infected, having it drool down at my neck. I quickly turned away with my eyes and mouth closed, reaching for my knife once again, this time, getting a firm grip on the handle.

I pulled it out and impaled it through the infected's head, having the body go limb on top of me. With a groan, I flipped the body over and let out a breath of relief.

I just laid there, soon hearing a twig break from behind the tree. I slowly sat up before standing up to the duct behind the tree with my knife clenched against my chest.

I slowly peeked around the tree to find an infected wobble over towards me. I realized that Joe was nowhere to be found.

______________

Present Day

(1 year after Woodbury)