Chapter 1

There is a link somewhere on this page, which is a Spotify-playlist with all the songs from the serie, which I think fits really well with the story.

***

"Mary!" Francis called to the woman who he was supposed to be marrying.

"Yes Francis? What do you want?" She answered with anger filling her every word. Looking at him made her boil.

"You do not have to be so angry with me; I only did what my country needed from me, nothing else." He answered her, looking at her up and down. God was she beautiful.

"So ignoring me for the past three weeks is what your country needs? I do not recall that that is how a relationship is supposed to work, not that there was a relationship to start with." said Mary back to him, looking him stone cold in the eyes. She, as the queen of Scotland and soon to be, France, could not stand for this. They were supposed to be getting married soon, but not before Henry, King of France and Francis father said so, and now it was feeling like it was never going to happen. Especially not when Francis behaved like he did.

"Well, yes in this case it does. I can be with you when our marriage is a safe deal, but right now, it is not. Scotland might ruin France in its current state." He regretted the words as soon as they left his mouth. He could see how the hurt spread in Marys' eyes and it pained him to see, but he could do nothing.

"Admit it. Admit that you do not want to marry me." She said and backed away from him.

"No. No, that is not..." was all he could say before Mary turned around and started to walk away from him. "Mary, wait!" He called after her.

She turned around and looked at him with pain in her eyes. "No Francis." She once more turned around and started to walk, only to seconds later when hearing Francis voice again made her stop. "That was not what I wanted to talk to you about Mary. I hope you are coming to the feast tonight. We need to look like a united front in front of the English Noblemen who are visiting at court." Mary turns and looks at him, seeing that his eyes are hard as stone.

"Whatever you want Francis." She says and walks away. Francis can only stand and watch her go, knowing he has lost her. For now.

                                                                                              ***

Since Mary, Queen of Scotland, was a child, the English wanted her country and her crown. She is sent to France to wed the next king; to save herself and her people – a bond that should protect her, but there are forces that conspire... forces of darkness, forces of the heart. Long may she reign.

                                                                                              ***

"I cannot understand him Lola! Why can't he talk to me? It is easy, he only has to say hello..." Mary says to her lady in waiting, Lola, while they are in her bedchamber. The feast that evening required different clothes than she was wearing under the day, so now she was getting help from her ladies in waiting, Lola, Greer and Kenna, getting dressed. 

"I do not know Mary. Maybe he is afraid that he will do something wrong?" Lola answered as she started to tighten the corset that was already tight against Marys waist. Lola and Mary had been friends for almost their whole life, and Mary could tell her everything, but not just her but also her other two friends. In the beginning they had been five, but Aylee, the youngest one of them, had died in an attempt to kill Mary a couple of months ago.