Chapter 5

The child wouldn't stop the vexatious howling since their trip to the shopping center. He had tried toys, bottles, even baby food but it was no use. "Stop your bloody crying!" He screamed. This is all going to be worth it in the end; he took a deep breathe and eyed the infant in the stroller.

How does she look just like her? He stared into her eyes and grinned. Your eyes will never be the same kid. It was the only piece of a large scale puzzle. "Who's your daddy sweetheart?" He leaned in, smirking. The infant continued shrieking, not reacting to his sudden movement.

Sighing, he covered his ears, cursing himself for the location. Whats done is done. walking over to the table, he viewed over his weapons. Grabbing the hilt of one knife, he examined the blade. Tainted; he scraped off the dried blood and looked back over to the baby, who had calmed down. "The game's boring when it's just you and I, isn't it?" He walked towards her, gripping the knife. "I think it's about time we remind your dear Mommy she's still in."

The car had hit another bump on the road, jostling the passengers inside. Although Dawn hardly noticed. She continued staring out the window, the events replaying in her head. "You excited to go?" She heard Nadia say.

"Hmm?" She glanced over.

"I asked if you were excited to go." Thought that's what you said. She nodded, even though she couldn't see her response from there. The ride became silent once more as she went back to her scenery. Who's child is she? The question kept resurfacing with many others that she couldn't find answers to. Why a car accident?

The problem that kept turning up was the absence of memories resulted in a lack of self. For starters, she found that the simplest things like her favorite food or color couldn't be answered. She was clueless to what she was like in the past and what made matters worse was it bothered her in more ways than one.

Maybe, just maybe. She looked away from the window. "What was I like?" She paused. "Before the accident, I mean." Dawn noticed her glance into the interior rear view window before averting her eyes back to the road.

"Well, me and you were close like sisters." She recalled, a soft smile on her face. "I can't say anything about you and Dean though. we have been living in that house as family more than roommates." Dawn nodded slowly, closing her eyes. We created a home, a family, for our own. A sigh left her mouth as the corners of her lips raised.

"You were always the serious type, and," she laughed. "You seemed to be always scolding someone like you were that persons Mother." She opened her eyes.

"So I was this... Humorless Mother?" Maybe the past was a stone meant to be left unturned.

Nadia chuckled. "You did have your moments." I don't think I want to learn anymore.

"What about you?" She changed the subject.

"What about me?" She asked, glancing at her in the rear view mirror.

"What's your interest?" Dawn clarified.

"Oh, let's see," Nadia seemed to be thinking for an appropriate answer. "my favorite animal would be a cat and also like watching anime." She withdrew common information. "I enjoy drinking milk, red wine when I'm in the mood." Cats, anime, milk, and red wine; a list that suits her.

Dawn nodded and went back to her window. "Are we almost there yet?" Another subject changer, but anything to keep it off THAT subject.

"Should be." A brief pause. "I wonder why Dean didn't come with us." Dawn continued watching passing scenery.

"Does he normally come with us?" The buildings were blurred together until it was impossible to distinguish one from the other.

"Yeah. He's always with us." She parked into a driving spot and turned off the engine. Then she turned around in her seat to face her. "Ready for movies and expensive popcorn?" Dawn nodded, smiling.

The house seemed so empty with everyone out. Dean switched on the television, trying to rid of the deadly silence that enveloped him. The image of her face kept popping up in his head, reminding him of the darkness lurking in the shadows. What had frightened her so badly that she had that look? He didn't want to think about it. Raiding the refrigerator, he shifted the items to reach the back and snatched the see through bottle.

The tan liquid sloshed inside as he popped off the cap. Plopping down onto the couch, he swirled the bottle before inhaling the rich aroma of fruits and flowers. Taking a sip of the liquid, he savored the saccharine flavors, even the chalky aftertaste that resided on the roof on his mouth. A few drinks never hurt anyone. He flipped through the channels with his free hand.

The liquid inside the bottle slowly disappeared as time passed. His stomach was bubbly, his body warmed up, and the sound of the television seeming to be sharper than before he put the rim to his lips. One bottle of Cognac; he turned down the volume. Resting his head on the armrest, he watched the program, uninterested. Wonder if the girls are having fun. He scolded himself. When was the last time they were considered girls? They are young women now.

He recalled all the years they had spent together. He chuckled, picturing a small Dawn. Man, how they had grown. Why had the years passed by so quickly? He peered inside the bottle. A droplet ran down the rim of the glass and dripped into his eye. The stinging lasted for a few seconds after he blinked away the alcohol.

So much has changed too; he set the bottle onto the floor and switched off the television. A long sigh left his lips. "It's like she's dead." He muttered, and instantly regretted it. Celine's not dead, she didn't die in that accident. Don't say such things. The vile voice in his head whispered more guilty truths. That person doesn't act like your Celine though. She hasn't been herself since the accident. "That's what Amnesia does."

He stood from the couch and grabbed the bottle. Entering the kitchen, he threw out the bottle and paused. Was that footsteps just now? Scanning the room, he listened for any more noises. Absolute silence. He had just reached the doorframe when their came a thump at the door. Dean slowly walked towards the door and twisted the door knob open.

The door hinge squeaked as it opened, and he peeked outside. His peripheral vision saw no one, imagenary or otherwise. See, it was all in your head. No ones in the yard. He was just about to shut the door when he saw a envelope addressed to Celine.