Chapter 9

The baby was crying again, but his mind was preoccupied. That woman was nothing like this Mothers child, but she would have to do for now. He sighed longingly. Just thinking about her made him shudder in pleasure. He picked up his favorite knife from his extensive knife collection and imagined him using it to decorate her red.

A sadistic smile was carved into his face. She would be the one. Oh, she definitely would be the one. She is finally going to get what she deserved. He set his favorite knife back down. The screaming then got on his nerves, so he whipped around, almost slapping the infant. "Belt up!"

That night Dawn couldn't sleep. The house was eerily quiet and every time she closed her eyes she was back in that alley way. She kept asking herself the same question, and come up with the same answer every time. Removing her hand from her eyes, she stared at the blank ceiling. What am I going to do now?

She rubbed her head, a headache starting. Best not to think about it right now. Shifting on her side, she peered through the darkness. A sigh left her lips. "This is going to be a long night." Curling up, she tried distracting herself and instead ended up thinking about it more.

She groaned loudly. Please let tonight end already! Giving up on the slim chance of sleep, she sat up and swung her legs out of bed. She stretched, yawning. What to do now? Going outside was definitely out of the question and nothing good's on this late at night.

Slipping out of bed, she tiptoed to the door. Grabbing the doorknob, she twisted it. Despite her efforts of trying to open the door mutely, it squeaked. She peeked out the door, confirming she didn't rouse her sleeping roommates before stepping out the door and shutting it. Dawn tiptoed down the stairs, wincing every time it creaked. Wake the dead, why don't you? She instantly regretted thinking that.

Stopping at the bottom of the staircase, she glanced around. Now what? Even if she wanted to turn on the television, it would end up disturbing the others. Now that she thought about it, just turning on the lights could be a risk. She noticed her gaze was unconsciously moving to the kitchen. Oh no. Anything but that.

A shiver ran down her spine as her thoughts moved back to the man in the penguin suit. She tapped her head against a wall. How could I been so blind? Tears were threatening to spill from her eyes again. Before they could slipped over, she wiped her eyes clean of tears.

How pathetic am I to let this bother me? In a sick way, putting herself down cheered her up. Maybe I really am sick in the head. Maybe that's why he's my friend. Her stomach got nauseas just thinking about it.

Approaching the kitchen, she paused and took a deep breath. Stepping inside, a small amount of light from the stars and moon was her only ally, and even that wasn't much help. The darkness was suffocating her and she had to feel her way just to get to the screen door. She looked outside, weary and curious. Her heartbeat sped up.

Who's there? Her voice wouldn't-- couldn't-- express her thoughts. Whoever was out there knew she inside, watching them. The silhouette stood there for what seemed like hours before turning away. She caught the reflection of the moonlight of something she thought was in his hand.

Dawn backed away, her eyes widening. Something metal...and sharp. She jolted when she bumped into something and felt something hard and flat. Just a wall. Somehow she managed to chuckle. Looking outside again from where she stood, she blinked. Not a soul to be found.

Chuckling softly, she smiled. "I must be losing it." She muttered before quickly escaping the room. Sitting down on the couch, she took deep breaths. It was just your imagination, that's all. The only thing outside is probably a squirrel and a bird. Maybe a raccoon.

Forgetting about keeping quiet, she reached over and grabbed the remote control. Maybe if I make noise, WHATEVER'S out there will leave. She switched on the television and wrapped her legs around her knees. Even if she had probably watched it a hundred times before, watching it one more time wouldn't kill her. Did i really just say...? She gulped. It's official. I'm insane.

The one time I get a chance to kill her; the leaves crackled underneath his boots as he walked. Oh well, he rumbled as he laughed. Just means we can continue our little game of cat and mouse. He twirled his knife. Oh, but what a pity it is to not be able to decorate her pretty little face. He sighed. Maybe next time.

The knife slipped out of his hand, slitting his palm. After all it's only a matter of time before she messes up. He examined the gash on his hand, watching the blood run off his palm and drip onto the leaves. And when she does, he smiled, grabbing the knife with his bloody hand. I'll be waiting.

She tensed when she heard approaching footsteps. From which direction? Turning her head left and right, she slowly looked up. Is it really coming from upstairs? Shrinking back into the seat, she focused on the television. Her blood went cold when she recognized the scene. A reporter was doing a broadcast on the murder of a Miss Cassandra Wert.

A picture of a rambunctious woman appeared on the screen, and she could see the slim similarities between her and Ashton. Same jaw structure, she realized. What frightened her wasn't the report, but the actual picture. This was her first time seeing the female and she saw his Mother had similarities with someone else. Dawn was staring at what could have been her twin, the resemblance was that close.

Pausing the television, she observed the picture closely. The more she started at the photo, the more she noticed the subtle differences between the two of them. Two thoughts popped into her head but she quickly dismissed them. Their is no need to think that way, especially when your spooked as it is. She changed the program and set the remote on the floor.

Dawn curled up on the couch and shut her eyes. She tuned out the noisy footsteps upstairs and focused on the program. Fatigue was kicking in again, she knew it would have. With sleep came dreams and with dreams came nightmares, something she wasn't ready to go through again. Maybe if I just rested my eyes for a couple minutes...

The babies crying had--- needed -- too stop. He rubbed his head, a migraine forcing its way between his temples. Nothing would stop her crying, and he even considered for a second to shutting the kid up. The game would end too quickly then, he reasoned with himself. The demons still of use, he tried relaxing.

After what seemed like a few minutes it felt like the noise was getting louder if that was even possible. He put his hands over his ears gritting his teeth. "Belt it right now!" This child has to be a demon spawn sent to drag me to the depths of hell with it. Glaring at the screaming infant, he had the urge to grab a knife. It has to be the only reason, it's got to be. Why else would this menace be alive?