The Awakening

Scott visited every day, at least for a little while. He would talk, either about how his day was or about how all the coworkers were doing. Sometimes, he thought he could hear Vincent talking back, but an observation of the unmoving man showed that it was only his imagination.

He was very tempted to do more than just hold Vincent's hand, but couldn't bring himself to do it. He didn't even know what exactly he wanted to do, he just felt like nothing was enough. He was starting to feel guilty. It wasn't his fault, was it? No, it was all Vincent's fault, it had to be... he was the one who had decided to down a bottle of pills to try to off himself.

He hated Vincent. He'd managed to pull anger and hatred out of that ball of emotion, making it a bit smaller, but it still weighed down on him a great deal. So, for now, he pushed it to the side and focused on the two hateful emotions he'd managed to discern.

At midnight, he picked up the phone the first time it rang. He'd been lying in his bed wide awake anyways.

"Hello?" he said, in a voice that feigned sleepiness.

"Sir, we're sorry to wake you, but we're very optimistic that Vincent will wake up tonight and we want you to be there."

Scott's heart skipped a beat. Now was his chance to get answers, but... what if Vincent just hated him? Or he didn't remember him? Pushing his doubts aside, he regained composure long enough to say "I'll be there as soon as I can" and hang up the phone. Then he started bawling.

The man who had tried to kill himself, possibly because of his actions, was coming out of a coma today. He had no clue what would happen when he got there. He didn't know what Vincent would think or do. But it was worth a shot, he supposed. He tossed on some nicer clothes and sprinted to the hospital, ignoring the stares of people around him.

He slid into the room, finding a few doctors standing around, off to the side to ensure that Scott would be the first thing Vincent saw. He'd taken the time to grab a bouquet of purple flowers from a street vendor, and he held them in front of his chest.

Vincent's eyes began to flutter open.