He was Human.

Clara groaned quietly and started to reach for her head when she felt she was restricted. Instantly memories flooded her brain,  causing her to stress and worry. Memories filled with horror blurred her mind whilst she attempted to escape the metal. The panic attack overwhelmed her so much that she almost forgot to be quiet. Tears streamed down her face as she pulled short, sharp breaths into her lungs and tried to calm down, so that she could process her situation. She could hardly remember anything from the night before, if only a night had passed...

Scrunching her face up, she tried to concentrate and remember what the hell happened. The last thing she could remember was almost transferring the money to the accounts when a sharp pain and darkness enveloped her body. As Clara attempted to remember more details, a figure stood watching her from behind a pillar diagonally behind her in the dusty, dilapidated warehouse. She reminded him of a child that needed to be protected. He felt a pull towards her, it was one of the reasons he hadn't turned her in to H.Y.D.R.A yet...

"Excuse me," she said loudly, trying get someone's attention, " I'd very much appreciate you taking these handcuffs off. They're quite tight, you know." Clara thought she was talking to herself, sure she was alone, until a shadow descended over her slight figure. Her British accent came to a halt as the masked man came into view. 'I shouldn't be scared!' She thought as she focused on the tall man with shoulder length hair. 'You've faced aliens and monsters from everyone's worst nightmares!' Her inner thoughts came to a halt when she looked into the man's eyes. They looked familiar. The feeling of unease started to slip away until she realised why she feared him more than any monster that existed on Earth and all of it's surrounding planets, past and present... He was human. He was rational. He knew what he was doing. He was like a soldier marching into battle - calculated and focused. She had to form a plan to escape. To go back to her little house and her boring life. To feel the safety of her computer. At this moment the Doctor would come to rescue her, but Clara knew that today was not one of those days; that the Doctor would never save her again and she was alone.

The lights shone dimly throughout the hospital corridors. Steve Rogers was standing in front of the vending machine that stood lonely in the hallway, apart from some uncomfortable plastic chairs that gave the super soldier back pain. He was visiting Fury's body - identifying him - until Agent Romanoff snuck up on him like a predator hunting its prey. Grabbing the collar of her jacket, he pulled her to the nearest room confused and furious at her interruption.
" I know who killed Fury. " Natasha almost shouted causing Steve to let go of her quickly, listening to her intently. "Most of the intelligence community doesn't believe he exists. The ones that do call him the Winter Soldier. He's credited over two dozen assassinations in the last 50 years."
"So he's a ghost story." Steve rolled his eyes as Natasha talked about the legend of the Winter Soldier.
"Five years ago I was escorting a nuclear engineer out of Iran, somebody shot at my tires near Odessa..." Steve interrupted Natasha.
"You don't have to tell me this if you don't want to. Especially not to prove a poi-"
Natasha interrupted his speech with a dark stare, "We lost control, went straight over a cliff, I pulled us out, but the Winter Soldier was there. I was covering my engineer, so he shot him straight through me." She lifted her shirt up to show Steve the scar. Steve stared at the scar briefly until his eyes flickered back up to meet Natasha's.
"Going after him is a dead end. I know, I've tried. Like you said, he's a ghost story."
"Well, let's find out what the ghost wants." Steve smiled as he said this, wanting to avenge Fury's death and rid the world of another villain. Many victories and failures had finally led them to someone by the name of 'Clara Oswald' - a hacker who Fury had been trying to locate before his demise. The victories and the failures just so happened to be Clara's way of escaping the metal armed man's trap, especially when Steve and Natasha found their only way of knowing Fury's intentions and locating the Winter Soldier had mysteriously disappeared the day they'd thought they'd found her.

A/N: Disclaimer! The part where Natasha and Steve talk about Bucky is from the film, I didn't write that part! Also how are you liking the fic so far? I'm actually enjoying writing it! I'm going to bed now. Night guys! ~ Holly x