Chapter 18- Blackstone Bridge

Blossomstide 1924

The surf splashed against Emelia’s legs as she ran giggling down the white beach. At her side was her sister whose blonde curly hair shone in the sunlight.

She came to a halt, her chest aching. Emelia looked to the sea in confusion. Why was she here again? She was dressed in a damp cloth dress. She was still a woman, but the girl with her—her sister—was a child. That couldn’t be right.

Emelia felt the girl’s wet grasp slip away and she dove into the oncoming wave. With a laugh, Emelia followed her. She noted with delight, as she struck the water, that her legs had become a long fish tail. She was part Subaquan—a mermaid princess—and the call of the dolphins played a beautiful melody in her ears.

The tide had sent clouds of sand and shells swirling under the surface. Her shoulder was aching as she swam against the current. There was another shape visible through the water; perhaps a porpoise to tickle and cuddle?

It came closer and with surprise she saw it was a small creature, with a face identical to her own, and wild hair spreading out into the ocean like the tendrils of a jellyfish. Its body was covered with scales that caught the little light like there were a thousand gems.

Emelia, it said, stay under. He is here looking for you. While you are at your weakest.

“Who is looking for me?” she asked.

“Emelia?”

She could hear the voices. They were distant but pulled at her like a fishing hook. By Asha, her shoulder really hurt now.

Cool air brushed her face. The sky above her was dim, the clouds tinted pale blue by the moonlight. A surge of nausea exploded in her; she was on her back; she was going to choke.

“I can’t believe that was your secret escape plan,” Hunor said. “Are you even sure that whistle works? I can’t hear a damn thing except the horns signalling my imminent beheading.”

She was sprawled on a cold surface. Emelia glanced to either side and could see battlements in a wide circle around her. They must be on a tower. To her left were four unconscious guards. A pile of rope had been dumped at her side next to the guards’ swords and spears.

“It is tuned to griffon ears, you buffoon,” Lady Orla said. “They can hear it two miles away, irrespective of any blasted horns or trumpets.”

“To state the obvious, it would seem for some reason they are not responding,” Jem said. “I think we should seriously consider alternative escape options. We cannot battle a whole castle of Thetorians.”

“I still consider fleeing is an admission of guilt,” Orla said. “I am almost certain they would take the word of a knight as to the circumstances of the… well, the slaughter.”

Hunor laughed and turned with exasperation to Jem. “I told you and Emelia that we should have just fled. She’s got the Moon’s malady! If it hadn’t been for the mound of corpses blocking the door and you fizzy walling us up here then we’d be decorating pikes on the gatehouse by now. As far as the baron’s men are concerned we would be sword in hand for all those bodies. No trial, love, they’re Thetorians. Once their blood is up they won’t look at your Eerian Lady’s club badge!”

“You go too far, Hunor. If I wasn’t indebted to you…” Orla said.

“Well that’s how it is,” Hunor said. “That blue crystal is worth something special and we need to put as much distance between it and Blackstone, lest whoever sent that demon sends his bigger brothers.”

“Hunor!” Jem said and Emelia was suddenly aware of him by her side.

She tried to sit to speak but pain seared through her shoulder and she retched. Jem turned her gingerly as she vomited onto the stone.