He was intrigued, if not captivated, by her appearance. Her long black hair could make night seem like dusk, her deep brown eyes were earthy as the ancient woodland forests, lacking no warmth, and her skin---it was eternally kissed golden. She radiated from across the table, even more so than his pregnant daughter in-law to his left, and he could not stop staring.

"Has Mirkwood always been your home?" Thranduil questioned when it seemed appropriate. This elleth was Adrianne's guest and he wondered where in Middle Earth she could have found her.

"I am from Moguet, a tiny settlement in the south, Your Majesty"

"You are quite a long way from home then"

"This is my home," she answered with a soft smile. "It has been for almost four centuries now. I've enjoyed what it has given me".

Thranduil returned Justine's smile with a gentle one of his own before Adrianne began to draw their luncheon to a close. "Thank you so much for coming, Justine," she stood. "It is about soon time for Amdir to be picked up from school. Would you care for another pastry and more lemonade before you go?"

"I couldn't possibly have any more. Everything has been delicious, thank you!" Justine addressed the princess. "You are an unbelievable cook, I'd love to know how you made these". She pointed at the unfinished sticky roll on her plate, her third that afternoon.

"I have the recipe in the kitchen. My children absolutely adore those", Adrianne chuckled. "It was a bit of an experiment when I created it, now its just about the only thing I can get both of them to eat".

"It's true", Thranduil chimed. "Even on days that they spend with me, Prince Arton makes a request for them at least once, his sister at least four times".

Laughter escaped Justine's lips as she imagined the little prince and princess pestering their grandfather with the request for these sweet cinnamon and sugar filled treats. "He's going to add on to your troubles", she gestured the child in Adrianne's womb.

"He? You believe I'm having another son?" Adrianne beamed as she helped her guest from her seat.

"It's a feeling", Justine smiled as she took Adrianne's offered hand.

"You have had children of your own I assume?" Thranduil asked.

"Just one, Your Majesty", she said with a weak smile. "However, he's no longer living".

'I'm sorry' was all that Thranduil managed to utter before the two elleths disappeared into the kitchen. When they emerged again, he was stood waiting. He towered over both females, Justine being the taller of the two by an inch or so.  He tried not to intimidate and permitted himself to slightly slouch. "It's been a pleasure, Mrs....?"

"Father, she is a wido----" Adrianne had begun explaining.

"Kennewick", Justine projected. "I'm still Mrs. Kennewick". She looked a bit pained in that moment but was otherwise smiling. She took hold of Thranduil's offered hand. "And thank you, Your Majesty. It's been an honor being recognized as a guest by you and your daughter". Turning to the princess, she finished, "Your highness, I'll see you tomorrow".

Tomorrow? The look of question nearly cracked the King's demeanor as Adrianne saw Mrs. Kennewick out the door of her home.

"Isn't she lovely?"

"You have plans again for tomorrow?"

The two had spoken simultaneously over one another.

"No, she's the pianist---"

"Yes, quite so."

They did it again.

"---for Amdir's ballet class".

The princess laughed before finding the armchair. She couldn't stand very long anymore. "I'm thrill you like Justine. I hoped you would. I want you to hire her!"

"As what? Is this why you asked me to lunch today without telling me there'd be a guest?" Thranduil was taken back. "Whatever you promised her, I can't be certain I'll be able to do it".

"I haven't promised her anything," Adrianne placed her hands on her belly. "I haven't even offered yet". The child within her was very active now, her tightening brow revealed so. She paused every so often as she spoke. "I've been thinking---I'm going to need some additional help with my royal duties soon. Especially after the baby is born. It's hard as it is being the First Lady while raising a 6 and 4 year old---I don't even know if she would be willing or interested, but I would like for Justine to become my lady, a bit of an assistant if you will. She's already quickly becoming a friend."

"Before you object to the idea", the princess spoke up again when she saw that Thranduil was to speak, "I've done my research. She comes from very humble roots, much like myself. She's been a wife and a mother, so she understands families. Her late husband was a silversmith and ran a shop before he was drafted as a soldier, so she can relate to the working class and business owners AND soldier's wives. She's felt the effects of war and of peace, lack and abundance. For goodness sake, she's lived in Mirkwood longer than I've been alive. She'll know what our people will need---She's over qualified for this role! I urge you truly to consid---"

"The role can be created", Thranduil cut in. He never would have guess that there was so much behind the beautiful face that they had just eaten with. "You have my blessing, but---ask your husband. You two need to be in agreement on this".

Adrianne could not hide her excitement. Her smile took over her face. "Thank you father, I will!"

"You're welcome my daughter", he was smiling softly as well. "You rest", he commanded with a squeeze of her hand. "I'll go pick Amdir up from school instead".