Part 3: The Indominus

((A/N: Sorry that this one may be a bit short in comparison with my usual chapters, but I'm in a bit of a blue period. I am extremely sorry that I haven't been updating, I've kind of been stripped of creativity lately and I'm in high school now, so everything's a bit harder now. I'm working on the new A Twist In Time chapter, but it's only one paragraph at the moment. I'm trying to get new chapters to you as well as give you some new stories. Hopefully I can get through this... Until then, I hope you enjoy these chapters.))

While Owen and the Maintenance Workers looked up at the fence, Astrid stepped back and looked a little closer. She knew that thing couldn't have just climbed out of there. She knew something was up.

First of all, the scratches were strangely placed. They were too close together, and they looked more from the claws on its hands rather than from both. It didn't look like the Indominus Rex had climed out, it just looked like it had tried and failed to do so. There weren't any scratches at the top of the paddock; which confused her because there would have to be some scratches there from it getting to the top and leaping off.

Second, if the Indominus had climbed out and leaped, wouldn't it have made an audible sound that any of the workers should have heard? They should have heard the scratching from the other side of the paddock. And if it fell, someone should have seen it. Given the estimated size of the Indominus, how could it have made a stealthy escape? Surely one of the construction workers would have seen it trying to climb out. Or heard it, as she had previously mentioned. It was supposedly bigger than the T-Rex, so someone had to have seen it. The Maintenance Workers had to have seen it get out. Unless...

Unless it wasn't being watched, and by some odd coincidence the construction workers were on their break so no one could have watched it escape, and it got out and escaped through the woods before anyone noticed it was gone!

But then, she thought, what about the on-site inspectors? The scientists, the workers who weren't on their break? Surely they should have seen something. Or at least heard something. And from what she could tell, the dirt in front of the scratches laid undisturbed, with only one set of footprints in one spot. They shouldn't have been in one spot, she thought once more. The dirt should have been everywhere. It should have been in piles on the ground, on the walls of the paddock where she had scratched, and there should have been scratch marks in the dirt as well; which of course she didn't see. The only way it could have left a clean trace on the wall, was if it climbed using only it's forelegs, which would prove impossible to support its massive weight.

A lot of this just didn't add up. And Astrid was prepared with her theories to inform Owen about what had happened. But then, there was a call to the worker. They couldn't tell what it was saying, but then they knew exactly why they were being called. They could hear it behind them, growling within it's throat.

The chase was on, racing to the paddock's gate as it was about to shut them in with the Indominus. Owen and Astrid got out just in time before the Indominus got caught in the shutting gate, which it furiously broke and shoved aside. It roared, and it started prowilng for it's next victim.

Owen and Astrid were under one of the vehicles, while one of the workers took shelter at the front of a car. This did him no good, as the Indominus soon found him and devoured him as quickly as he had been found. Astrid looked on in utter horror as the Indominus began to prowl towards their hiding spot. Owen broke something that sprayed what smelled like gasoline on them, and he put an arm over Astrid's back, keeping her from moving. The Indominus leaned down and sniffed at the bottom of the vehicles. Astrid dared not breathe as she felt a hot puff of air hit her face, and it opened it's mouth. Then she smelled it: that exact same smell that she imagined the raptors smelled like on her first day. Except worse. It smelled horrible, like an empty drained pool full of corpses. The stench of death was so strong, it made her want to vomit. But she couldn't do that. Not when it was so close to her.

The Indominus roared once again, almost leaving Astrid and Owen deaf, and it walked away. Astrid sighed in relief, as her and Owen began to follow Claire's route to the Control Center.

X    X    X    X    X

Claire and Owen's arguing only made the situation worse. Astrid took a deep breath in and exhaled, feeling overwhelmed by the yelling. Astrid was also overwhelmed by the way she'd felt when she was around that Indominus.

That thing was not like any other dinosaur she'd ever met here in the park. Granted, when she had to be around the T-Rex, or even the raptors that she had been around for months, she was scared. Those carnivores always scared her. But when she was around this Indominus thing, that sense of fear was heightened to unbelievable lengths.

She felt this overwhelming sense of dread when she was in the presence of that Indominus, as if the world was going to end. It made her feel sick, it made her feel horrible, and it terrified her to no end.

Something was wrong with that thing. Something that Astrid couldn't quite put together into words. She wanted to tell Owen, but she couldn't really say exactly what it was. Astrid simply sat there, drowning in her thoughts as Owen and Claire snapped at each other.