The Thenardier Family

Eponine braced herself before walking into the apartment in which she lived with her family.

As expected, everyone but Gavroche was there. Eponine hadn't so much as sighted her younger brother in three days. He was likely off wandering the streets alone as usual. Eponine did not worry for him, for though he was quite young (She did not know exactly his age, was even unsure of her own), he was a tough little gamin, and whenever Eponine saw him he looked well enough.

Her father and mother she saw sitting by the fire plotting whatever cruel tricks of getting money to use on their next victim, and her sister crouched on the bed tending to the consequences of their parents' most recent scheme. Poor Azelma, she was a pretty young thing and was therefore the main object of gaining pity.

Eponine went to Azelma, while searching her dress for the cleanest spot of fabric. She sat beside her younger sister and began dabbing at the cuts on Azelma's hand and arm. These were not so bad in comparison to some of the injuries which had before been inflicted on either of the sisters.

As she worked at cleaning the cuts, Eponine asked, "What has Father done this time?"

"Oh, it wasn't really so bad," Azelma replied, "I was only cleaning up the broken window Father made me break the last time. I cut myself on the glass, that is all."

"Well, that is good. Do you know what he is planning next?"

"I do not."

Thenardier stood then abruptly and pointed almost accusingly at his two daughters. "Eponine! Take off that dress and wrap yourself in your shawl. And hide the dress."

As she hurried to carry out her father's order, Thenardier walked to the bed and yanked a fistful of Azelma's hair so hard she let out a sharp squeal and her eyes smarted. Eponine was tempted to return the deed to her father, but was terrified of what he would do to her then.

Instead, she settled again beside her sister and continued doing what she could to help, while watching her father out of the corner of her eye. Eponine saw him nod in approval at the two girls, then open the door and peek into the hall.

Madame Thenardier had, during this time, extinguished the fire with the contents of the toilet, causing the already unpleasant air in the room to become almost unbearable, when stench and cold were taken into consideration. Mme. Thenardier then wiped her hand across the filthy floor and rubbed the dirt on whatever skin she had exposed by her tattered clothing.

Monsieur Thenardier stepped back in and shut the door loudly.

"Our guests are not yet here," he announced authoritatively.

"What guests may they be?" Azelma inquired timidly.

"The old man from last time. You remember him, yes?"

Azelma released a small relieved sigh. Poor Azelma, she had come to fear most people she encountered. The old man was not frightening to her, as he was rather more gentle and kind than anyone else with whom their father consorted.

At that moment, there was a knock on the door.

Thenardier opened the door with a gracious bow that bordered on irony. "Monsieur! Welcome, monsieur, a million thanks for coming, my wonderful patron!"

The old man inclined his head politely, "Monsieur Jondrette. You've no need to thank me."

"Oh, but of course I must, for there is no one else on this earth who cares enough to help a poor family like my own. Surely, I have been blessed to have a benefactor generous as you. Why, that thought alone redeems my faith in life and the Lord!"