Part 4: Fishy Thoughts

I slowly open my eyes to see the sun's rays peeking into the tree den. The scent of thrush drifts to my nose, and I see the fresh-kill lying a few whisker lengths away from me on the dirt floor.

So, Scamp went out and got more fresh-kill for me, did he? Though I should be thankful, considering my wretched situation.

I reach out and drag the dead thrush closer to me and dig in.

"Ah, good afternoon, Cedarfrost!"

I look up at the sound of Scamp's cheery voice and see him bound to the entrance to the den, where he gazes happily down at me.

"Are you enjoying your thrush?" he asks, sitting down and wrapping his tail around him.

I nod and swallow my mouthful of meat. "Thrush is actually one of my favorite types of fresh-kills."

His eyes lit up. "Perfect, then!" He pauses a moment as I take another bite. It is a bit unsettling, having someone watch me eat, but I am starving, so I do not mind as much. "When you are done eating, I'm going to help you with your walking. To get your strength back up."

At his announcement, I choke on my mouthful, and a fit of coughing takes me over until I can finally swallow it properly. Anger rose within me. Does he think I am not strong? I am a warrior! He is but a mere kittypet! I could beat him in a fight any day!

Except for the fact that I am maimed and can't even stand without assistance.

I take a deep breath to calm me, my anger disintegrating. Why must I always be so hotheaded?

"You should do it sooner rather than later," the tom adds on. "What if another dog comes along?"

I see that he is right, for I would not even be able to climb a tree like last time. I nod in agreement and finish up the last few bites of my thrush.

When I am done, Scamp comes into the den and helps me up. I lean on his shoulder as he boosts me up and out of the den onto the flatter, grassy ground.

"All right," the black tom began, "first I want to see you stand without my help. I'm going to slowly remove my shoulder from beneath you so you can get your balance."

I appreciate how he tells me what he is going to do before he actually does it. He does as he said with me trying to find my balance. I gingerly put pressure on my injured leg and am very pleased to learn that the pain does not hurt as much as it did before; it still hurts a little, but it is bearable. His shoulder is fully removed, and I successfully stand on my own.

"The scratches on your muzzle look like they're almost healed. How does your leg feel?" he asks. He reminds me of a medicine cat, making sure every whisker-length of your body is as it should be.

"Well, I haven't fallen over like last time yet, so that's good," I reply. He gives a mrrow at that, and a warm feeling tingles within me. StarClan, his eyes are beautiful, the amber color seeming golden in the sunlight, dancing with amusement and joy. I could stare into them forever; they look just like Hawkstrike's -

What am I saying?

I am filled with great relief as Scamp moves on.

"Try taking a few steps forward - slowly, though. Carefully," he urges.

I do as he says, him walking right next to me so he can catch me if I fall. I stumble once or twice, but manage to stay upright, and successfully get from the tree den to another tree several tail-lengths away.

"Good work!" he commends, his eyes continuing their gleaming streak. "How are you feeling? Nothing is hurting?"

I snort in playful exasperation. "I am not a kit using my legs for the first time, keep that in mind."