Chapter 16 - Don't Take My Sunshine Away

^Scarlett's POV^

"Oscar, no!"

I stare in agony as he falls to the ground, eyes watery and hands filthy. The entirety of his torso, most of his right leg and a good half of his face is now covered in serious burns. His skin looks sticky and flaky, peeling off in random areas. The reality of the situation sinks in when I hear a high pitched scream.

"Oscar!" I cry, rushing to his side. He holds onto his face, scraping his nails against the delicate skin. He cries softly, spending too much time calming his breathing to scream or cry. Much like me, he was speechless.

"Oscar, oh Oscar" I cry out, grabbing his hands in a desperate attempt to keep him from damaging his already burnt face. He stares at me for a few seconds before breaking down into sobs. I sit down on the ground beside him, picking him up and placing him on my lap.

I hug the crying boy close to my body, looking around for help. All the others are too busy fighting, so calling for help would be useless. The best I can do is try to keep him calm and see what I can do to save him. Although his burns are fatal, so I'm not sure there's much I can do.

"It hurts Scar. It really really hurts" he cries, hugging me even closer than before. I feel hot tears trickling down my own cheeks and my shoulder soaking in salty tears. Poor Oscar, he doesn't have a clue what's going on.

"I know, I know" I cry softly, mumbling comforting words into his ear and petting his head gently, scared that if I hold him too tight he'll break. My eyes sting with fresh tears as I squeeze them tightly shut, hoping it will make my tears go away. But Oscars quiet sobs make a waterfall of tears flow from my eyes.

"Do you want to lie down?" I say softly, feeling him nod his head on my shoulder. I carefully place him on the ground in front of me, taking a tight hold of his hand and squeezing it gently every time he winces in pain.

"Will I be okay?" he mumbles softly, his voice cracking with every word. You can tell he already knows the answer to that question, he's a smart boy. The way his voice cracked and his mouth turned straight into a frown as he spoke, you could tell he'd already accepted his fate. He's such an amazing boy, he doesn't deserve any of this.

"I don't know Oscar. I honestly don't know" I cry, placing a hand gently on the undamaged side of his face. It wasn't a complete lie. I really wasn't sure what would happen, but I know what normally happens in these situations.

The screaming and yelling from all around begins to deaf out the cries of the innocent boy in front of me. His eyes well with tears, yet still shimmer brightly. His face and hands are filthy, yet still so soft. His hair ruffled and messy, yet still silky and framing his face perfectly.

"Can you sing me something?" he mumbles. His eyes stare at me innocently as he smiles softly, making my heart warm up. He's still the same old, happy, giggly little angel I know.

"Sure" I smile softly, trying to keep positive. I jump to the back of my mind, trying to think of a song they used to sing back home.

"You are my sunshine, my only sunshine" I smile softly, tears falling from my eyes. I'm trying to keep positive for Oscar, but I don't think there's much more I can do.

"You make me happy when skies are grey" I sing, softly brushing the hair out of his face. My mind suddenly goes blank and I'm not sure what the next line is. I decided to just come up with something rather than stopping.