A Pet's Perspective

"Mom! Dad! Look at him! He's so cute! Please, oh please, can I get him! I'll pay for all expenses, I promise!" the girl said excitedly as she explained every detail to her parents.

The bearded dragon watched it all from the tank. What could she possibly be so excited about? And why do they keep looking at me? he wondered, cocking his head. Could this be my big day? Life in the pet store was a walk in the park for reptiles. Basic pet shop rules: act cute, act calm, and remain nice to humans unless they appear to be evil. Every animal in the shop is familiar with these rules, and most animals choose to follow them. To sum things up, life is pretty bland. Everyone sits around all day, watching humans walk around, as they occasionally stop to adore you. Then, feeding time arrives and everyone in the tank scrambles to the food. But today, one bearded dragon's life would change for the better, or worse. The store human came over to the tank and took him out. Wait, where do you think you are taking me? Put me down peasant! The little beardie tried to squirm out of the shop human's hands, but had no luck, and was soon in a small cardboard box with holes on the side.

After what seemed like ages, the constant buzz of human excitement died down. The small box was lifted from the moving cage with the utmost care and brought into an area with an unfamiliar scent. Finally, out of that horrid cage they just called a car! How do humans stand sitting in them, why they are so bumpy? He peeped out of one of the holes and saw a dog below him, panting and jumping excitedly on the human children. Oh no, they never said they had a dog! The small lizard couldn't help but give a hiss aloud.

"Hey, it's alright boo. Don't worry, you're safe here," the teenage girl said calmly, opening the cardboard box into a large tank. The tank was definitely twice the size of his old one and had a soft substrate. Soon, the box started to slowly tilt up, and the lizard who had never been in a tank that big, slid out of the small box and into his new, glorious home.

"What should I name you?" The girl rested her arms on the dresser that the tank was sitting upon. Name? I get a name? The girl looked like she was deep in thought, then left. What? She just left me? How dare she! I can not be left alone with that dog roaming around! But she soon came back with a small plastic bin in her hands. The girl grabbed a small bug like creature out of it and placed it in with him. The bug ran around in circles as the bearded dragon curiously looked at it. Food? Well it must be food, it is moving around... Without hesitation, he lunged towards it viciously. Watching her new pet, the girl let out of giggle of joy knowing exactly what to name him.

"I know! I'll name you Rex! Because you eat as vicious as a T-Rex," the girl laughed. "Mom, Dad! Guess what?" She ran out of the room, waving her arms. Rex stared at her from the tank. Rex? Hmm... she may be a human, but she does have good taste. The human parents came walking in, following the girl. "Meet Rex!" she said motioning towards her new pet. The humans were soon in another fast paced conversation full of excited chatter and kept glancing over at him. Well this is it, my new home. Now I just have to put these humans in their place.

After one of the most peaceful nights of sleep Rex had in a long time, he gave a yawn, enjoying not having to share a tank with 5 siblings. I might as well get comfy. He thought climbing out of the brick cave that was in the far left corner of the tank, and took a stroll around his new home. On the far right was a green plastic plant, and to the left of that was a log for basking in the heat lamp. And the huge tank was on top of a dresser, backed against a wall, which made a perfect view for Rex to look out into the teenage girl's room, and out the bedroom window. Wow, this is pretty neat. The pet store tanks were never this clean. He enjoyed looking out through the glass of his tank.

"I see you woke up early, here, have some breakfast," the girl said as she opened the tank door and set a small bowl inside, filled with 4 roaches. Rex again gobbled all 4 in a few bites. Okay, enough nonsense. Let me out, I want to explore. Rex swallowed his food and started scratching on the tank wall. This human girl is good at tank decorating and feeding, but now the real test begins. Is she smart enough let me out? His reptile claws made soft squeaking sounds as they ran against the glass.