Awake and In Pain

A chilly breeze blew my hair in my face and created goosebumps on my exposed skin due to my hospital gown, but I barely noticed. I sat on a stone bench under a tree in the courtyard of the hospital, with my eyes closed in concentration. Nature energy was pouring into me from every angle, filling me up and warming my chakra network from the inside.

Since I awoke two days ago, I made it my mission to get back to perfect health as soon as I could. With some help from Hinata and Sakura (whom I've grown to like in these past couple days), my right arm was strong enough to be taken out of its sling and I could successfully walk with crutches on my own. I still had my right leg in a cast though, so I couldn't put any weight on it. But, it was progress.

Once I accomplished that much, I made my way outside as many times a day as my body would allow. I resolved myself to try and absorb as much nature energy as I could handle everyday. Not only would it aid me in healing, but it was the perfect distraction to keep my mind off of the guilt I felt regarding Kiba.

Kiba...

That thought broke my concentration, and my eyes opened reluctantly.

As much as he made my heart ache, I hadn't been able to bring myself to visit him. Up until this point, he's always been such a strong individual in my mind, completely capable of anything and everything he put his mind to. I just couldn't stand to see Kiba in a weakened state, broken and strung up on tubes. The thought alone was enough to make my eyes burn.

I let out a sigh and forced myself to stand, grabbing my crutches at my side.

Now's a better time than ever.

I made my way up the ramp back into the hospital, greeted by the smells of sterilization once more. After navigating to the nurse's station and politely asking for his room number, I took the elevator back up to the same floor where my room was. Apparently we've been down the hall from each other the entire time.

I stood outside his room for what felt like an eternity, before taking a deep breath and letting the door creep open. I crutched a couple steps inside and closed the door behind me, still not looking at the bed. I rested my crutches on the wall by the door, and took a seat in the chair already positioned at his bed side, his heart monitor beeping in my ear.

Bitting my lip, I finally rested my gaze on the sleeping form before me. Kiba's body was covered mostly by the blanket, but his bare shoulders protruded from the top and provided evidence of the gauze around his body below. The left side of his neck held a dark purple and green bruise that showed signs of healing. His lips were parted slightly and he had an oxygen tube attached to his nose that went around his face, resting behind his ears. His hair was a disheveled mess, but his face was peaceful as he slept.

My eyes softened as they drank in his appearance, but my heart still felt heavy. I reached up and brushed a piece of hair from his forehead, half expecting him to feel my gesture and open his eyes, but to no avail. He just continued to lay there, sleeping soundly.

I allowed myself a small smile as I sat back in the chair, taking in the rest of his hospital room. I noticed the table at the foot of his bed was covered with flowers and get well cards, making my smile wider. 

Kiba must have a lot of people that care about him in order to receive that many gifts. 

I returned my gaze to his face and brought my left leg up onto the chair. Leaning my head on my knee, I started to laugh quietly to myself. I couldn't help it. The fact that I was here, sitting by someone's bedside that I cared for--no, sitting beside someone who cared for me, was unbelievable. Kiba was the first person in five years to look at me as a person, and not as a freak of the Yuna clan. He was my first real friend. Three months ago, I never would have thought this was possible.