Meeting the Family

Two hours had gone by, and still Kiba wasn't back yet. Currently I was laying on my couch, staring at the ceiling listening to the birds chirp through my open window. I knew something was going on, something serious. The Akatsuki had apparently killed a well known leaf ninja, and from the look in Kiba's eye before he left, it was something to be worried about.

I sighed, rolling onto my side. I couldn't help but feel a tad confused and left out. I let my finger tips trace circles over the fibers in my carpet as I tried to fight away the darkness in my mind.

What if Kiba didn't want me to meet his Sensei? What if he didn't bring me along because I would slow him down?

I let my vision land on my right foot, still encased in its boot. I shook my head, trying to shake my depression away. I was contemplating getting up and taking the boot off as a knock came at my door.

"It's open," I yelled, not moving from my position on the couch. I looked up as the door swung open and Kiba stepped in slowly. He closed the door behind him and came to sit on the floor in front of my couch, right in my line of vision. His eyes appeared swollen, like he was trying not to fall apart. He leaned his back against my coffee table and let out a long sigh. Our eyes met and I sent him a silent question, wondering what was going on. He bit his lip, looked down for a moment, and then returned his gaze to me.

After a minute of stalling, he started to speak. He told me about his sensei, Kurenai, and how she was pregnant with Asuma's baby. He told me how devastated Kurenai was to know that her child would not know her father. He told me about Asuma's team, and someone named Kakashi, and how they avenged his death with everything they had. Apparently Kurenai knew more about the details of Asuma's death, and he relayed them to me as well. Kiba spoke slowly, trying to keep his composure, but he wasn't quite successful. He would be on the verge of tears, and then suddenly be angry and slam his hands on the ground. Just by his demeanor I could tell he was close with his sensei, and that he felt the pain of losing someone so close to her.

The sky was growing darker as I sat up and slowly pat the couch to my right, motioning for him to sit with me.

"The funeral is tomorrow," he said as he got up and sat next to me. "I know you didn't know Asuma, but would you, you know, go with me?"

"Of course," I said, sending him a small smile. "If you want me there, I'm there."

He returned my smile, but looked away from me and out the window. I reached up and cupped his face, turning his head towards me again. He squeezed his eyes shut and then looked at me.

"Ugh, I don't usually get this emotional," he confessed. "But seeing Kurenai all choked up like that really got to me. She's like family."

"Hey, its alright," I said, slowly tracing his marking with my thumb. He nuzzled his head into my hand and smiled slightly.

"You smell nice," he said running his nose against my wrist and opening one eye to watch my reaction.

"Excuse me?" I laughed, pulling my hand away. He grabbed my arm before it could move too far though, and leaned forward to sniff the air closer to my neck.

"You smell like lavender... and vanilla," he said, pulling away. My face was tinted red and I tried to process what just happened.

"Did you just sniff me?" I said, giggling slightly.

"Maybe," he grinned, seeming to get back to his normal self. I smiled back at him, taking in my view of his teeth. I couldn't understand why his animalistic qualities were so attractive to me, especially in this low light. The sun was setting now, and I cam to realize that I almost spent the entire day with Kiba (minus the couple hours he was with Kurenai.) It was nice, and in realizing that I reached forward and grabbed his hand.