Prologue

"She's back! She's back! She's back! She's b--ACK!"

The jabberjay fell out of the tree with a high-pitched shriek.

"Quiet," a soft voice drawled. The cat-sized, reddish brown bird thrashed wildly on the ground. It's head dangled brokenly on its neck as blood spilled from the deep wound.

"..he..s...back...he...ack." Hatter plucked a second knife and threw it at the squirming mound of flesh. The jabberjay gave one last squawk as the blade slid into it's skull.

"That's more like it." Hatter looked away from the dead bird and frowned as he glanced up at the surface of the water.

She's here. He felt it. The current had changed. Once weak and light purple in colour, it now was dark blue and strong. So strong that it blew strands of giant seeweed towards him, their thousands of tiny eyes boring holes into his body.

Oh yes, finally, Hatter thought, It's been so long, my dear Aaaalice.

Hatter could sense her presence. He had felt her from the moment she stepped into Wonderland. The wind had fallen quiet, the trees had turned to towards her, the creatures had begun to awaken. Even the godforsaken Cat had stirred in his sleep. Alice was here, and he didn't need the stupid jabberjay to point that out.

A bright green blowfly flew past his side. Hatter's hand snaked out and grabbed it, twisting out the thin sac of air from under its stomach. He brought the flimsy bubble of oxygen to his mouth and inhaled.

Alice, oh, I'm coming my dear Alice.