Chapter One

Well, here we are! The first chapter!

Also, I know that I have a friend named Dakota that has a wattpad, although I'm not sure what her username is... but if Dakota sees this, just know that I had the name Dakota Alan in mind before I knew you. Also, YOU ARE PRETTY SO SHUT UP

As far as I know, Kaisville does not exist in the real world, only in this story.

--

January 7, 2050

Bad things happen in the dark.

That was the thought that was running through 14-year-old Dakota Alan's head as she walked into her new room with a small black box in her hand that held her things.

In this new house her father had bought, the electricity didn't work.

Well, not properly, anyways.

There was a light-switch.

A light-switch! In 2060!

And, because it was dark and stormy- that wasn't cliche at all -it was dark.. which meant she had to search for the light-switch like an idiot.

As she ran a hand along the wall, the lights suddenly flickered on with a click.

"Holy crap, Dad!" Dakota jumped. "Why did you have to make that noise?"

Michael Alan chuckled as he shook his head. "Wow... when I was a kid in 2020... you always heard that sound when you turned on the lights... you're too used to LiOrbs. (Basically a new, high-tech lighting system that was motion activated)

Dakota scowled. "It isn't my fault you decided to buy a house that the dinosaurs probably helped build! This thing was made in 2010!"

"You couldn't have survived the apocalypse of 2012." Michael shook his head. "Whatever. Unpack your stuff."

Dakota nodded as her father left the room. She threw the black box into the air, and it spit out all of her clothes, books, electronics, and- well, basically everything she owned.

Suddenly, Dakota felt as if somebody was watching her. She whirled around, barely noticing the flash of a shadow at the corner of her eye. She gulped.

Her mother, Sawyer Alan, was a therapist, and she'd recently been transferred from Minnesota to Arkansas in this city, Kaisville.

Dakota was used to small-ish towns, so a city with a population of 60,000 was somewhat daunting.

And from what she'd heard from the realtor, this house was haunted by some crazy scientist and the kids he'd experimented on. However, Michael Alan didn't believe in ghosts, so he'd bought it. He wouldn't be here much, anyway, as he was a pilot.

And because the house was so feared in this city, it hadn't been updated ever since 2015.

From the shout of annoyance from the other room, Dakota could tell her little brother Jensen was just as thrilled as she was.

Dakota, wanting an excuse to leave the room where she swore she'd just seen a shadow moved, quickly walked to Jensen's room.

11-year-old Jensen Alan was setting up his collection of Batman comic books from the early 2000's whenever Dakota walked in.

"What was that yelling about?" She asked, leaning against the door frame.

"This house has a light-switch." Jensen replied, not looking away as he set the first issue of Red Hood and The Outlaws on the shelf. "Not to mention this shelf... our old house had a MaxiRom, like normal houses, but this has a wooden square with planks."

At that moment, the power went out. Dakota gulped. There was only one thing she was scared of, and that was the dark.

Bad things happen in the dark.

"You're such a wimp." Dakota knew her brother well enough to know that he was rolling his eyes. "Mom told us this would happen. This house is old, there's gonna be some power outages in storms. It doesn't have a back-up generator... well, not one that works."

"Don't judge me! We've both seen those old movies Dad forced us to watch, and you know what kind of things are in the dark!"

"Don't act like Freddy vs Jason was scary. It was amazing."

"Well, duh, but I mean Paranormal Activity or Insidious."

"Still wasn't scary. You know what's scary? Mr. Bloom." He waved one of his Batman comics, although Dakota couldn't see it. "That thing is creepy as f-"

"Don't you dare finish."

"Well, somebody's strict today."

Dakota was about to respond, before a whisper reached her ears.

There goes Dr. Sawbones

Creeping down the alleyway

Looking for a victim

The game of chance is underway.

"Do you here that?" Dakota whispered.

"No.." Jensen said slowly. "I think you've finally lost it, Kote."

Dakota gulped, before a hand grabbed her shoulder, and she screamed.

Bad things happen in the dark.