Punk Rock

I've never liked school. It was always so boring. No one cares about school anyways in senior year. I don't have any real friends... but that doesn't matter. I still ride the bus because I'm saving up my money for a car. My life kinda sucks. I'm living with my dad, and he's a drunk. Not to mention abusive.

I pop in my earbuds and slowly shut the door to my house so that I don't wake up my dad. I don't know why I do it, maybe it's cause I'm afraid of getting beat up.

Every seat is taken, so I sit with this black-haired kid at the back of the bus who seems friendly. He smiles at me and I give a sad smile back. I haven't seen him before.

"Hi, I'm Michael." He says, extending his hand.

"Luke." I reply. We shake hands a bit awkwardly because my hands look extremely tiny compared to his. "Are you new? I haven't seen you around."

"I just moved here. Kinda sucks because it's my senior year. But I'll make the best of a bad situation, you know?"

I nodded. "Bad situation..." I mumble quietly to myself. We sit in silence for a bit until he asks me about the school. I tell him that it sucks. "The teachers don't teach, and all the girls are sluts. No ones loyal, all the dudes are fuckboys, and I just sit back and watch everyone do their lousy shit because I have no friends, anyway." I say.

"I don't think any of those things will be my problem." Michael decides, slouching a bit in his seat.

"Come on, dude. All of them are your problems." I say as the bus jolts to a halt. "We're here. Say, d'you want me to show you around before I have to get to class?"

He nods. "That would be great, thanks."

-

"So your next classroom is down the hall, to your right. Maths, such rubbish." I mutter. I hand him his schedule with a grin. "I've gotta get going, Mikey. See ya on the bus."

As I'm walking away, a hand envelops my wrist and turns me around. It's Michael.

"Thank you." He whispers. He turns around and walks away, occasionally looking back at me. I can still feel his warm touch on my arm as I turn around and walk to my class.