Authors Statement

My name is Shannon Smith. My story is about my knowledge of cedar pulling. My mom Sandra Smith taught me everything I know about cedar pulling. She taught me where to pull from, what trees to pull from, and how much to pull. Most importantly though she taught me to respect what I am taking and to only take what I need. I decided to write this story because I’ve noticed often people know the steps of pulling cedar but, they lack the knowledge of how they must respect it. I’ve noticed a lot of people take more than they need. Reasons for believing they are taking more than they need is when I see line after line of small baby trees stripped now never able to be used again, I’ve seen long strips of cedar laying wasted on the ground of the forest, and sometimes I’ve even seen whole cedar trees stripped completely. I believe it is either greed or the people going out don’t know all the facts and importance of cedar stripping.

Names/words meanings in my story:

Novie: Free as a Butterfly

Zyanya: Always and forever

Chaska: Given to the first born son

Nagwaadu: My father

Nooyu: My mother

Łmktii (łmktii): Brother

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

This is a story I wrote for the, Canadian Aboriginal Writing and Art Contest, and I won 4th place!

 http://www.our-story.ca/shannon-smith.html - There's the link for the website :D

Please take a look and let me know what you think